Tobacco germination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aman240

Reaction score
Hey! So I'm trying to grow my own tobacco and being naive, I didn't properly read the instructions, so I buried the seeds instead of just spreading them on. I later went out and mixed the top of the soil in hopes that maybe a few of the seeds would rise to the top and get sunlight. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this and if there is still a chance I could expect some tobacco sprouts??
Thanks in advance!
Also if there's anything you would advise to help increase the germination rate I would appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your best bet would have been to take the top cm of soil and spread it across the top of a larger pot but as long as you've left the soil loose they should come up. they do like light to germinate and they don't like transplanting so if you must then transplant young, and use something like a coffee stirrer to dig deep and wide around the seedling.

Curing is a faff, I had luck by drying slowly, rehydrating then rolling the leaves into a bundle and wrapping tightly in cloth, twice a day open the bundle, take the leaves from the middle and put them at the outside and vice-versa. Cut out any wet or slimy looking patches. You'll know when it's ready.

Got talking to a famer in Cuba - they keep 10% of their tobacco crop to do what they want with and most of them kickstart fermentation using either dilute honey&rum or cane juice - a light misting just to give moisture and fuel to get the bacteria going.

Latest posts

Back