Toasty oat ale input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahayepyep

Reaction score
While eating a piece of a lovely toasted honey oat bread the other day, I couldn't help but think, "I want to drink this."

I have little experience with building recipes from scratch and tend to just tweak others', so I'd like some input on where to go from here.

The goal is a toasty, oaty, English pale ale with a slight honey-like sweetness. I want bitterness to be balanced and hop flavor/aroma to be present, but not the main attraction. The star of the show needs to be toasted oat flavor/aroma.

5 US gallon batch, AG (single infusion, batch sparge using 5 gallon cooler)

Expected OG: ~1.054
Expected IBU: ~35

GRAINS:
6# Maris Otter (63.2% of grist)
1# Golden Naked Oats (10.5%)
1# Oat Malt (10.5%) (lightly toasted in oven beforehand)
0.75# Victory (7.9%)
0.5# Special Roast (7.9%)
0.25# Honey Malt (2.6%)

Thinking of mashing @ 154F for 60mins with a 60min boil.

I'd also like to add 1# of honey to primary after fermentation takes off.

HOPS:
1 oz Challenger @ 60
0.5 oz EKG @ 20
0.5 oz EKG @ 10
1 oz UK Fuggle @ 0

YEAST:
I was thinking of trying Wyeast 1469 in a 1L starter. However, I might just go with Nottingham since I know exactly what to expect from it. I've only ever used 1028, S-04, and Nottingham as far as English yeasts go. 1028 would be fine flavor-wise, but I've had trouble getting it to clear satisfactorily in the past.

Ferment temp will be ~65F and I will leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks before bottle conditioning for 4 weeks.

I expect a FG of about 1.012.

SO, whattya think?

The part I'm mostly unsure of is the oat types and amounts and how they'll play with the (somewhat heavy addition) of victory. Do I need rice hulls or a protein rest? I'm also curious what yeast you all might suggest.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back