toasted oak spirals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiarmuid

Reaction score
I want to get a little "Bourbon Barrel" flavor into a Porter I'm fermenting, but I've never used the spirals before. Do I soak them in bourbon or just toss them in the secondary? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

I start soaking them on brew day and then rack on top into secondary,just the spirals, save the whisky for bottling. If it needs more flavor you can add back the liquid at packaging. My best tip thou is to use the spiral for BBQ, because there long the smoke is lighter for longer.
To help mimic the barrel you can do the secondary in a plastic bucket,just make sure to keep it off the basement floor.

I’ve been making a wood aged bourbon porter for years. I use one and a half medium plus spirals and break them into thirds. Soak them in 16oz of bourbon starting on brew day. I add the bourbon dangle the spirals in the keg for 4 weeks. Remove, carbonate, and enjoy heaven!

Back