Toasted Coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I found alot of information regarding coconut additions and its all over the place, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I have a white stout going in which I added 2 lbs of fresh unsweetened coconut shavings I toasted myself. I added about 5 days after pitching yeast in giant mesh bag. Not even 24 hours and the coconut flavor is POPPING, its not overwhelming but its darn close.

It may be of note that since this "stout" lacks chocolate malt that may be why the coconut is so strong, hoping some coffee will cut it. Anyways I just wanted to share that I was able to get pronounced coconut flavor in one day even though some threads mention 10-14 days. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Mellowing a bit is fine, hopefully I didn't pull too early but the flavor was as potent as I'd want it. Will report back!

One main thing that keeps people from using coconut is the oil content - the natural oils have potential to destroy any head the beer could have. Check back in to provide an update once you've packaged and can evaluate the head retention.
Because im terribly impatient I cracked open my first bottle after a week. No Head retention issues, not the largest head but it seems fine to me
One main thing that keeps people from using coconut is the oil content - the natural oils have potential to destroy any head the beer could have. Check back in to provide an update once you've packaged and can evaluate the head retention.
So the head hasnt huge nor long, but I am more than content with the results

Attachments

• 20210524_173139.jpg
    20210524_173139.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 9
It is very good! In addition to the coconut "dry hop" I added marshmellow flavoring and cold brew, the carahell gave it some caramel. However the coconut is faint, you called it. I will give the coconut a few more days next time. Overall still a very good beer!

Here is the recipe along with what I would do differant. 5 gal partial mash.

1 lbs flaked oats
1 lbs flaked barley
2 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal 15
4 oz CaraHell
6 lbs Golden DME

2 oz East Kent Goldings (60)
1 packet of sweet orange peel (10)(originally was going to add pineapple for a pina collada beer, not sure if the peel is necessary here)

Toasted 2 lbs of coconut (soaked in warm water 30 min to remove chemicals prior to toasting) only left in the beer for one day, i suggest using one pound and soak it for a week instead.

1.75 oz of Brewer's best toasted marshmellow extract

Cold brew coffee to taste

Safale 05
OG 1.071
FG 1 010
ABV 8% (probably high 7's with coffee addition)

This high of gravity is probably unnecessary, and if I were brewing this professionally 6.5% would probably be better/ideql, I just typically shoot high for gravity.

Personally I wouldn't mess with adding actual coconut. Back in 2019 I made a milk stout following this Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe. It's very good as-is but this time I added 2 1/2 TBS of this to my keg , and then racked the beer on top of it. Tasted like a liquid Mounds bar. I took some to a party and it went fast and was very well received. It also fared quite well in a blind tasting with two similar beers - Coconut Hiwa from Maui Brewing, and Firestone Walker's Coconut Merlin. The coconut flavor remained unchanged throughout the life of the keg, and to-date it's one of the best beers I've brewed.

I buy organic chips and toast them myself and never found them to be very oily. When i turn them over there is never any oil on my fingers as i some have happen when toasting theirs. Not sure why but i have not had the courage to try it without. I do find the flavour fades in time and adding amoretti coconut cream really helps it pop.

I recently made a coconut porter. I toasted the shredded coconut and noticed an oily deposit left on the oven paper. After brewing I similarly noted an oily film on the surface of the beer. I then carefully racked off into carboys for two weeks and made best effort to not transfer over the film layer. As things settled there was a further build up of a surface film. Not a lot but obvious. I did a further racking and again avoided transferring this layer. Bottled and sampled the next day. It tasted bloody good. It’s been two months since then. I may pop the top on one this evening. My plan is to bottle condition the porter for at least four months before releasing it to my friends. I estimate I discarded at least three to four litres - to avoid transferring across any oil residues.

- a follow up …. I have since flipped the top of one of these beers - it was absolutely delicious. Not too strong. just A hint of coconut, which is what I wanted. Once my mates and family get their hands on this I can see I may need to set up a rationing system.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if the coconut I buy has somehow had some oil removed. I have never had a problem with head retention before but all my stouts are no boil.

I've used coconut probably more than a dozen times. I always toast in the oven. I put tinfoil down over the pan so after I've got it all good and brown I will close it up in a sanitary tube of tinfoil. Then before I put the wort in the fermenter I dump the coconut from the tube into a mesh bag weighted down with triclamps so it won't float. I leave it the whole fermentation so the flavor holds up to the end of the keg. You get a little initial fading but in general this keeps the coconut to the end. Never had any issues with head retention. I pick up on any artificial flavor bad and just can't use anything artificial. Weight of coconut varies by style the darker the more you need. I tried a light toast/heat where I left it just long enough at 170 to kill bugs but not brown the coconut. It was a much fresher taste but I would have had to double the amount to get it to come through like toasted.

Latest posts

Back