to rinse or not to rinse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckmug

Reaction score
My very first batch of beer is fermenting away in the hall closet. I'm in the process of cleaning my bottles (got them from a recycle place) for that fateful day. When its time to bottle and I give the bottles a squirt of potassium metabisulfate, do I just put them on my bottle tree to dry or to I rinse them with tap water first?

I use One Step no rinse, in the past with my Mr Beer brews, I've always rinsed everything with hot tap water after One Step.

Not had any problems that i know of.

I use a spritzer full of Starsan, after soaking them in Oxyclean and rinsing with water to remove the Oxyclean. I swirl the pool of starsan at the bottom and then pour it out, which I think gets any spots the spritzer missed clean. As the Starsan is no rinse, I can go right ahead and bottle.

The Oxyclean removes the labels and any crud in a few hours if the water is good and hot and you use two or three scoops.

StarSan may be expensive at first, but it's worth it. It's highly concentrated, and if you make it in a bucket with distilled water, one batch will last you for months.

Latest posts

Back