to keg or not to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoobrew

Reaction score
been considering going the keg route. The only thing is i'm not sure if i should go ball lock or pin lock for the corny... anybody have any advice. Is one way better than the other, better seals, ease of use, durability?

Pick one, usually the one with the best deal you can find, and stick to it. My understanding is ball lock has been the defacto standard due to availability but that seems to be changing now in favor of pin lock.

I went ball lock and really like it... have never worked with pin lock though.

Beta or VHS? LOL.... I've only ever used ball-lock. When I was doing my research I found that ball lock cornies and parts seemed to be easier to find. That was years ago. Not sure if one is actually better than the other. Just remember that it's cost effective to stick with one type once you've made the decision.

It doesn't really matter but I went with ball locks. Ball locks generally have a release valve on the lid (and pin locks often seem to not), seem to be more popular (and have parts a little more available), and seem easier to use to me

I just bought 4 pin kegs because they were cheaper and since I am going to convert a chest freezer I wasn't worried about them fitting. At first I was looking at converting a mini-frig so I was concerned to make sure they could fit. I believe the ball locks are a little higher but a little more narrow. Two pin locks would not have fit in the fridge I was orginally looking at but the ball locks would have. I think it depends on were you are planning on putting your kegs and the size you have available.

so far ball kegs seem to have an edge, as the tend to have release valve lids, are shorter in stature, and don't seem to need a tool (pin lock kegs have a tool you need to remove the pegs i think)
as for availability it seems that the internet has them for nearly the same price
is it really just down to whatever you got first? or does someone have something to say that has used/owns both types of keg?

Needing the socket sucks, but it's also nice that you'll never put the gas on the liquid post or vice versa. One of the ball lock posts is slightly smaller and be be a pain to get get the disconnect off if you put it on the wrong one. Other than that, they're pretty much the same thing. I think one is a little shorter and that might be important to someone trying to squeez a keg into a small kegerator, but not that important to most people. It really comes down to just picking one. The best advice is to get the flared disconnects so that you can easily hook up either keg. You may decide to go ball lock and find a score of pin locks some day.

I have pin locks because I traded a pump for four of them. They are fine.

Having said that, if I had a choice and the kegs were the same price I would go with ball lock just for that little pressure relief valve.

"Please Note: If you have Pepsi style ball lock kegs the dimensions will be different. These ball locks are converted Coke style kegs. Coke style kegs are shorter and slightly larger in diameter than Pepsi style ball locks. "

these are pin locks with ball lock posts,so doubt they have prv on them.

Needing the socket sucks, but it's also nice that you'll never put the gas on the liquid post or vice versa.

A cheap set of sockets and a Dremel tool negates the socket argument... :cross:

And if you somehow manage to get the connectors mismatched, you are more of a man than I... They are pretty fool-proof... Then again, I know there are some sufficiently talented fools...

Either way, just pick one and stick to it... It beats bottling anyday...

:mug:

Well I took the plunge not long ago and got a setup. Ordered everything but the kegs online since shipping is a killer... went with ball lock since they have the pressure release lid, and that's what they carry at my LHBS. Ended up getting 4 in the first go. Have yet to put anything delicious into them. Just been doing baking soda soaks, followed by pbw soaks. The good news is they don't smell like root beer/pepsi/mountain dew anymore. Baking soda worked like a champ to neutralize the odors. The bad news is I am still waiting to get co2 to be able to actually use them... the wait is killing me

oh yeah, took them all the way apart and soaked every piece in a heavy dose of b.s. water. followed that by the pbw and then replaced all the o rings. considered doing the poppets too, but not sure if i need to, or where to get the correct ones for my keg models...

Ball-locks...only 'cause that was the first keg I got years and years ago. "Brand loyalty"...Chevy guy, ha!

Ball locks are most popular and were readily available but now getting more expensive due to reduced inventory. I just recently bought two kegs for pretty cheap...pin-locks converted to ball-lock.

As other posters say, converted kegs are shorter and slightly wider. Not really a problem.

any thoughts on something like http://www.cornykeg.com/catalog.asp?prodid=674157&showprevnext=1
then can just collect more kegs by 2's or something...
just not sure that these have pressure relief valve lids, which seems to be the most important part right?

I've been pondering ball vs. pin as well and plan on buying my kegs from cornykeg.com since I can do pickup.

That being said, they charge a little more for a converted pin lock to ball lock, so is there any reason to buy the converted ball lock kegs? Since the dimensions will be the same and I'm starting fresh with no other fittings, the only difference I can think of is the ease of using a ball lock vs. pin lock (which I've heard is easier and less confusing - though I could be wrong).

I went pin lock because I got them 20 a keg local to my house. I also don't think there is a difference if you are trying to pick one over the other. My suggestion would be pick what gives you the best cost advantage and convenience in the beginning. That being said, if you want those little 2.5 or 3 gal., they only seem to come in ball lock. For about $15 you can just keep a set of whatever the other type of quick releases are, if you ever borrow a friends oddball keg. :) As for the "special socket", go to the store, and get a cheap 13/16, borrow a dremel if you don't already own one and put a small notch at each point, voila, you now own the special socket!

Orlando

Back