To keg or not to keg. That is the question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curryotoko

Reaction score
I have been a home brewer for a year now and feel I have made quite a few good brews but I have some questions that I have been wondering about.

I am considering a kegging system but I want to know what types of beer I should and shouldn't keg. I want to start a barleywine sometime soon but have noticed that a lot of people say that I should bottle it for example. Keep in mind I am an equal opportunity drinker and have enjoyed every type of beer that I've tried and/or made. Any advice?

I also have a bottling question. I have a few friends that are picky and they don't enjoy the sediment that they get from drinking home made beer. I know kegging would fix the issue of yeast sediment at the bottom of my bottles but if I do bottle, (for example barleywine) how can I filter the beer for them?

Once you get a kegging system, filtering the beer is simple. U need two kegs and a house water filter(canister type). Using co2, u push the beer from one keg, through the filter, into the second keg. Most people will tell u filtering is unnecessary though as most sediments with settle out with more time in the fermenter.

As for which beer to keg/bottle, its completely up to u. You can keg or bottle any style. Some beers are sold after bottle conditioning., like most Belgians, so its common for home brewers who keg to still bottle condition these.

Latest posts

Back