To get a five gallons bottled should i have 5.5 gallons on primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Do five gallon batches and seem to get a tad shy of five gallons come bottling time so I assume I Gould have more like 5.5 gallons in primary due to the falling yeast and hop residue when transferring to bottling bucket

Do five gallon batches and seem to get a tad shy of five gallons come bottling time so I assume I Gould have more like 5.5 gallons in primary due to the falling yeast and hop residue when transferring to bottling bucket

I had the same issue and have been doing 5.5 gallon batches to compensate. Losing about a half gallon every time was irking me. Bottling 46 or 47 beers was just disappointing for some reason.

Just make sure you compensate with a proportional 10% increase to the grain/hop bill; otherwise, if you simply add water, your beer will be only 91% of what you intend it to be.

Depends on what kind of beer you're brewing. If you're using lots of hops or other additions to the primary (e.g. fruit or coconut) then even 5.5 gallons in the primary might not get you 5 gallons at bottling time!

Yup. When i do 5g batches I make sure they are scaled to 5.5 so I get 4 cases full at least. There is usually 2-3 bottles extra I use to test or bottle in some of my swing-tops.

Back