To Filter or Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveWorts

Reaction score
Looking for opinions. What are the benefits of one vs the other? Can I do both...Should I only use one? I have a stout and Honey wheat conditioning now, what options do I have.

Thanks guys:mug:

Cold crashing has its benefits. I tend to cold crash almost all my beers, but I do that in conjunction with clarifying with gelatin.

If you are talking about filtering. It won't really matter too much unless you are sterile filtering. Cold Crashing then Filtering with .3 or .5 Micron will sterilize the wort and filter out all yeast. I would definiteyl cold crash then filter at that micron, as if you were to try to go from primary to filter without first crashing it down, I might think it would plug up the filter.

I personally cold crash every time, even if I do use Irish Mosh. The cold beer goes in the Keg and gets CO2 better that way. Anyhow, I would suggest just doing cold crash it works perfectly fine and if you have the fridge space then it dosen't cost any extra.

Also side note, please don't try to clear that Honey wheat, its supposed to be hazy.

I would definitely consider cold crashing them to get the particulates to drop out of suspension, and possibly filter the stout, but leave that wheat beer alone. Haziness=bueno :ban:

Edit: Dangit TexasDoughtBrewery beat me to it

Ok so to clarify here. Cold crash both, leave that honey wheat (I do love that haze) then filter the stout (yes I am letting it condition for a while). Thanks for the replys good info!

Back