TO EARLY! primary to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I am brewing a Saison, but I am brewing at my parents home while I go to college at Penn State, so time to brew is iffy at best. This being said I was brewing over spring break and had to leave for school prior to what I, as well as others would say is ok to switch to secondary. The fermentation was still 7-8 bubbles a minute. I made the switch non the less....due to the fact I had to because I would not be back for over a month. BUT upon my last visit I am concerned (a month later).... The brew in the secondary formed some kreusen...which was expected....but gravity was at 1.026, and two days later 1.022 (obviously slow progression for the time, but I would think expected due to the quick rack)....so since I had to leave again for 3 weeks, I racked it again into another glass carboy. Was this the right move? Am I in threat of ruining my beer?

I don't think that you ruined it, you may just pick up some unfermented taste in it. Your final gravity may be a bit high, what were you shooting for (FG wise)? For future reference you can let a beer sit in the primary for about a month, IMO, with out picking up andy off flavors.

You should be alright - the longest you had it in the sorta-secondary was 4 weeks? I would have done exactly what you did - rack it again, let it sit some more. It will be fine.

As for the FG, there are always plenty of yeast cells in there to get you down to your FG - don't worry about racking too soon.

Latest posts

Back