To each his own but fruit doesn't belong in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam really falls short in the fruit beer department for some reason.

I thinks Sam Adams is pretty overrated in general. If there isn't anything else to drink but Sammy, it is the best choice, but all in all, SA is really the alternative to BMC.

That's just my opinion, and JIm Koch, irritates me in his commercials, why the hell do you need to be in the commercials?

You pay people to brew your beer, pay someone to be in the commercial.

Ugly bastard...MHO!:ban:

I had a blueberry beer once and it was the worst thing I have ever tried to drink! I took one sip and spit it out then pored the rest out in the parking lot. Fruit dose not belong in a beer :eek: IMO.

Water, Grain, Yeast & Hops make the beer I drink. If I want fruit I have some with breakfast, lunch or dinner. That also goes for all the other stuff that people feel a need to toss into beer like Chili peppers, peanut butter , fruit loops, etc.

However if they want to brew it and drink it what the hell do I care?

Don't get me started on Pineapple/Ham pizza.

Second time I've mentioned it... Cantillon Fou Foune.

Also Russian River Consecration.

I'm not a (pick your fruit) wheat beer type at all, but there's room for it, selectively. Orange peel in a wit is a great example.

+ 1 for Consecration.

Personally, I'm much less likely to brew something I can buy a six pack of. I'd rather brew what is expensive/hard to obtain/impossible to find. (Like the peanut butter porter I have going right now.)

i'm with you, OP...though i still don't mind sampling the occasional fruit beer, but only if someone hands me one - not usually willing to purchase the stuff...

but i will try to brew a pumpkin beer later this year - pretty much the only fruity thing i'm willing to brew

I think the biggest problem I have with a lot of commercially produced fruit beer is the artificial taste so many of them have. I love Unibroue Ephemere, and I like a good lambic once it gets cold outside and I'm looking for something a little sweet that isn't port.

I've just had some simply awful blueberry and raspberry beers that taste like wine coolers. I also think that most pumpkin ales I've tried have to be among the most foul alcoholic beverages I've tried since my college days.

I think that a homebrewer and/or micro brewery who understands that a fruit beer should not taste like wine cooler, "kool aid", fruity pebbles, or skittles, and gets the balance right, gets an okay in my book.

Just don't make me drink anything from the liquor store with a "fruit" plus the word "ale" or "wheat beer" on the label that you yanked out of the cooler and spent $7.99 for. At least not unless I'm already drunk and don't care about the hangover.:ban:

I recently tried a bottle of Horsehead Brewing Jalapeño Beer. Split a bomber with my son. After my first taste I started to think about how to use the hot peppers I was growing in the garden.... by the time I finished the glass, I decided it was best enjoyed in small doses. I'll save my peppers for chili.

You are probably right sir, I have never had a jalapeño beer. I do like three jalapeños with either beans, chili, or both then slam a good guzzle of some decent beer.
"Sam Adams Cherry Wheat"
Sam really falls short in the fruit beer department for some reason.

Tastes like cough syrup to me, I was praising it until I tried the second one.
I thinks Sam Adams is pretty overrated in general. If there isn't anything else to drink but Sammy, it is the best choice, but all in all, SA is really the alternative to BMC.

I like ever thing they did at one time. Now I only like the Boston Lager, and it is getting old as well.

Anyone try the Maui Coconut Porter?

I got a truck driver going on vacation in Cali. you can only get it in CA, MO, Hawaii. I told him to try all of Maui Brewery out, make the call whether to buy all coconut, or a mixture of all of them. I told him that a lot of people like it and that I would buy all of the beer he didn't want to keep. I might get two cases or so. I hopped from Molokai to Oahu, had time on the flgiht, to sample some of Hawaii's breweries but don't remember which one is was.

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/breweryHI.html

Hmmm I just tossed 6lbs of bananas and two vanilla beans into my oatmeal stout...Im a pretty little girl apparently :).

I'm especially thankful this discussion got it's SA bash in. Where would a 10 page discussion be without it??

I'm off to start a new thread to explore how people who like hoppy beers are fags because they enjoy beer with lots of flowers in it...

Anyone try the Maui Coconut Porter?

I got a truck driver going on vacation in Cali. you can only get it in CA, MO, Hawaii. I told him to try all of Maui Brewery out, make the call whether to buy all coconut, or a mixture of all of them. I told him that a lot of people like it and that I would buy all of the beer he didn't want to keep. I might get two cases or so. I hopped from Molokai to Oahu, had time on the flgiht, to sample some of Hawaii's breweries but don't remember which one is was.

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/breweryHI.html

Love Maui Coconut Porter.

I'm especially thankful this discussion got it's SA bash in. Where would a 10 page discussion be without it??

I'm off to start a new thread to explore how people who like hoppy beers are fags because they enjoy beer with lots of flowers in it...

No need to start a thread, it's common knowledge that people whe like hoppy beers are fags. You wouldn't be saying anything new.

No need to start a thread, it's common knowledge that people whe like hoppy beers are fags. You wouldn't be saying anything new.

I'd hate to agree with you but Ithaca beer's flower power is kinda faggy.

I've had some really bad fruit beers and some really good fruit beers. I like Pete's Strawberry Blonde quite a bit. Brewed a semi-clone of it recently and it is one of the best beers I've made. Everyone that drinks it can't believe I made it. It's damn good. I've had commercial cherry and raspberry's that I liked as well but never a blueberry that I cared for.

As far as the troll, I guess I'm secure enough in my masculinity to not worry about it!

Long thread, but I saw some references to Magic Hat #9. Is there even any fruit in that beer? You guys should go ahead and make a very mildly hopped pale ale with WLP001 fermented in the 70's and mashed thin. You get some crazy peach and apricot taste from it. Just because it tastes like fruit doesn't mean there is fruit in it ;)

Long thread, but I saw some references to Magic Hat #9. Is there even any fruit in that beer? You guys should go ahead and make a very mildly hopped pale ale with WLP001 fermented in the 70's and mashed thin. You get some crazy peach and apricot taste from it. Just because it tastes like fruit doesn't mean there is fruit in it ;)

yea, has apricot in it. The brewers even talk about it in the Can You Brew it episoce (although they dont disclose how much, or exactly what they use)

I'm ready to kick out the next gay bashing poster and send them on a bancation. So flame on.
Pun intended.

Friends of mine took me to a gay bar a while back (yes, I have friends who are gay. OMG!) They had one of the best beer selections I'd ever seen, actually. :mug:

I really like fruit beers. I mean, I don't plan on brewing some soon (seems like a little bit too hard for a beginner like me).

Like Dieu du Ciel's Solstice d'ete (Raspberry Berliner Weisse) or Liefman's Raspberry beer. Or Lambic beers (Cantillon was amazing). Plain lambic or raspberry lambic. But I drink them very slowly.

It just a matter of tasting the right beer.

I've had a blueberry stout, a peach wheat, and a blueberry wheat that were all excellent. I'm not really a big fan of fruit beers but when they're done right how can you argue against them?

Fruit and flower beers might be gay.

I prefer to have someone teabag my beer, then I can guarantee it.

My fruit beers are great. I don't use real fruit though, just extract or schnapps. If you don't like em, you're wrong. :p

I don't prefer fruit in my beer either, but I like a nice Wit with some orange zest.

And I think that Saison is very often brewed without fruit. A lot of it is fruit flavored through the yeast. But since it's often brewed as a farmhouse ale, then who knows what each family put in there.

And I don't mind a an Ultra Lime the morning after on a hot summer day. Very refreshing. Like a glass of water with a squeeze of lime...

Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek is proof that fruit belongs in some beers.

Sweet orange zest always seems out of place in a wit to me; the "citrusy" flavor in a hoegaarden/celis/allagash style wit comes from the coriander, with bitter orange more for bittering.

Maybe I haven't tried enough fruit beers but the ones that I have tried always tasted like crap and/or gave me a serious headache. I mean if I want to drink a fruity alcohol beverage, I'll pick up a gallon of wine or some wine coolers. IMHO malt and fruit don't mix. If you think they do, drink some wine until you got a half decent buzz and then finish off with some beers until you're good and drunk. You will see what happens to you in the morning. No fruit in beers for this homebrewer.

I always thought there was something wrong with 'foo foo beers' until a good friend gave me a Blackberry Wheat. It was one of the best beers I ever had, and that was back in 1992, so you know it was good.
Still, I'll adhere to the Reinheitsgebot about 98% of the time. I pulled that number out of my primary.

Thanks OP for tantalizing my efforts in the search of a great fruity beer.

I just found two that I like:

Leibinger Brewery has two fruits, Seeradler (classik-lemonade, and plus-grapefruit mostly). IMHO they are great!

I also bought a six of the Zeppelin (will try it tonight as well) I am virtual touring this brewery as it were.:mug:

I do like the plus a whole lot more that the classik.

Edit: 11:27 pm same night.
Zeppelin is terrific, honey aroma and aftertaste, very carbonated like the fruits, but nice melding of flavors.

DSCF0054.jpg

"Thanks OP for tantalizing my efforts in the search of a great fruity beer."

Glad to be of service. It's nice to hear my efforts weren't in vain. ;)

Back