To Campden or not to Campden.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordspudz

Reaction score
......that is the question.
I have two batches of TC nearly ready for bottling and have read numerous posts saying you should add Campden tablets and a lot saying you shouldn't.

What's the right thing to do and what would happen if you did or didn't?

Most confusing šŸ˜†

If you do, you protect your cider against oxidation and bacterial spoliation so it will increase the shelf live and decrease the risk of having a bad cider after some month. But you also add sulphite with all the problem it can bring (allergy, headache, bad taste or odour if over dosed).

If you Don't, you take some risk of oxidation and infection, moreover if you are working without CO2 and doing some big splash during transfer and with dirty equipment.

In my opinion, chemical adjunction in home doing stuff is kind of non-sense, I make food and drinks by myself because I want to avoid this kind off product. Some time I use it because the risk is too high of having a problem. Always a question of balance of the risk/reward factor.

So.....if I wanted to store the cider for a while it could be beneficial to add a tablet but it has drawbacks. šŸ¤”. Might be worth making a couple of test batches, one with and one without, just to see what the difference is. Much to consider. Thanks for the reply doublejef šŸ‘

Back