To bottle or not to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boydo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, need some advice.

I currently have a batch of Coopers Mexican Cervesa sitting in primary stage. It has been in primary for two weeks. I really need to bottle this batch this afternoon so I can move onto my next batch while I have the time on the weekend.

I forgot to take a SG reading yesterday. Should I take a reading and try fit beer bottling in tomorrow or do you think I am safe to assume that cause it's been in primary for two weeks that it is fully fermented?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks

In my experience and with my system it would be good to go as far as bottling... Take your reading and see where it is... probably be fine if the SG is WNL....

Always test with your hydrometer 2 days apart to make sure it's at FG & stable before doing anything with it. Never assume it's done because of time.

Does your recipe give you an expected final gravity? If your FG is near your expected FG you probably will be fine. Certainly the safest approach is to measure stable FGs. Just put the bottles in your bathtub just in case!

unionrdr said:
Always test with your hydroemter 2 days apart to make sure it's at FG & stable before doing anything with it. Never assume it's done because of time.

Yeah, I was thinking that much. Thank you for the advice. It would probably be safer not to assume

jonrk said:
Does your recipe give you an expected final gravity? If your FG is near your expected FG you probably will be fine. Certainly the safest approach is to measure stable FGs. Just put the bottles in your bathtub just in case!

Not sure but will investigate that. Didn't think about checking that. Thank you

If you can I would say to do all you can. Test it if you have the option. If not, check for signs of doneness. Things such as no visible bubbles rising, and signs of clearness can be a start. This means it's ready to be bottled.

You can't count on no bubbles rising as a sign of doneness. Dissolved co2 will come out of suspension for a variety of reasons. The beer should be cleared or slightly misty by bottling time. The yeast clean up by products of fermentation at this same time. A hydrometer is the only sure way to know it's done.

Latest posts

Back