To all the other noobs out there: If you don't like it at first, just give it time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I started a thread on monday (today's thursday) about how I didn't like my beer. It had been 3 weeks in the bottles.

Well I cracked another last night and I'll be damned, its pretty effing tasty! Now I regret giving most of the batch away! (I've only got 12 left!)

It took 3.5 weeks to reach maturation for me. I was impatient and have been duly scolded.

I promise to be more patient next time!

wooo!!
:drunk:

Yep, patience comes with experience. I must say though I would not give away most of my beer. I'm a prick about that. :)

I learned patience when I taught special education classes. I lost that attribute when I changed careers... So, to keep myself occupied while I await my first batch I've stocked up on some good microbrews and am brewing a second batch tomorrow!!

cnbudz said:
So, to keep myself occupied while I await my first batch I've stocked up on some good microbrews and am brewing a second batch tomorrow!!

Yeah that's what I did. I chalked the whole bill up to my beer education! :D

Seriously, I did.

I'm working on the patience bit. My first batch is 12 days in bottles and the second will be bottled this weekend. The patience is helped by a fridge full of microbrews. As soon as a can collect some more bottles I will start on my third batch. I hope by that point to have a small stockpile of brews available so I can practice more patience.
Of course I do plan on giving plenty away (In exchange for more bottles) so I have an excuse to try more recipes.
Craig

My first batch was a cream ale. When I was bottling it, it tasted amazing uncarbed right from the secondary. After about one week of carbonating in the bottle it tasted extremely bitter. After about three weeks it had finally carbonated, but still tasted pretty nasty. Now after about two months, it is back to tasting as good as it did when flat at bottling time, except it is also carbonated. Yay!

Too bad I have already drunk half of it :)

Blender said:
Yep, patience comes with experience. I must say though I would not give away most of my beer. I'm a prick about that. :)

You know what else helps you to be patient? Always having more beer coming down the pipe! I have more than six cases of homebrew, and more than eight cases worth in my carboys. As long as you're continuously brewing, you've always got multiple projects to think about, and it's easier to wait for one batch to be ready because you're moving all the others along. :ban: :tank:

I racked my first batch(sam smith taddy porter clone) to secondary last night. I let it settle overnight and took a hydrometer reading tonight and figured I might as well give it a taste. I wouldn't say it was great but I could definitely tell what it's supposed to be, and hopefully it will get better with age.

I don't know what it is about homebrew, but it seems like it continually develops and changes flavor over time. I think with Bud, Miller, Coors the pasteurization stops the flavor at a certain point, and it doesn't change anymore.

Totally. No yeast means a stagnant flavor, at least until it goes bad. Live yeast means your beer ages and matures, like offspring. :D

Latest posts

Back