Tips on using outdoor burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WooHokie

Reaction score
I just bought an outdoor burner to move my brewing from off the stovetop. I was hoping to get some best practices from you guys on things like... do you steep grains on the stovetop still and then move outside? Do you use the wort chiller in the pot on the stove or move it off?

I realize these are simple questions, but I'm brewing Friday night and just want to get the logistics of this all thought out in my head.

Thanks.

I do everything on the burner, then move inside to chill since I don't have a hose hookup...if you have a hookup, definitely chill outide...no reason not to!

Just make sure you don't burn your bag when lit...sounds like you're still steeping/biab, not mashing.

Congrats! Outdoor brewing is the best! I brew all grain so there's no steaping for me, but why not do it outside? Most propane burners can be turned down low enough to get to your steeping temp without any problems. I leave my pot on the burner when I chill. I just cut the flame and turn on the hose.

If your burner has an air damper you'll want learn how to burn most efficiently. Blichmann has a good video demonstrating this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a mash tun yet. Though I'm sure that will happen soon. This hobby has hooked me bad.

Thanks man... I actually watched that video yesterday b/c I bought the Blichmann.

If you are steeping on the burner directly do you not also heat sparging water to pour over top of the grains? I don't know, I've just done that with most of my batches so far. Is that a necessary step? Just to clarify, I've been heating two pots of water. One to steep in and the other to strain the grains over as I pour the water that was steeped into in the second pot (that seems more confusing to type than it really is).

Always use the propane burner in a ventilated area, not in a closed garage, I do everything outside, makes the wife happy!

Just use the garden hose for the IC, the water is usually a little colder as well so it speeds things up

I don't have much experience with steeping and extracts, so I hope someone can see if I'm on track. If you steep the grains in the majority of the water there is no need to rinse, or rinse lightly if needed. However you decide to do it readjust your recipe to taste the keep same process to keep consistent results. Sorry that's all I have for you on steeping.

These burners seem to be affected adversely by wind, so select a sheltered area to brew. i.e. near a fence, wall, trees etc.

I don't have a mash tun yet. Though I'm sure that will happen soon. This hobby has hooked me bad.

If you are steeping on the burner directly do you not also heat sparging water to pour over top of the grains? I don't know, I've just done that with most of my batches so far. Is that a necessary step? Just to clarify, I've been heating two pots of water. One to steep in and the other to strain the grains over as I pour the water that was steeped into in the second pot (that seems more confusing to type than it really is).

Generally steeped grains provide flavor and color but they are not sparged. Sparging is a laughtering step used to rinse and collect the sugars from the mashed grain.

If you are doing full boils put five gallons in your brew kettle, steep the grains in a bag (this is not BIAB, brew in a bag is a mashing method). The steeped grains go in a bag so they can be easily pulled out after they're steeped. Once the steeping process is complete start adding extract.

There is a hombrewer who goes by "BobbyM", as you get more and more into this hobby you'll find out he is pretty well known. He has dedicated a lot of his time educating the homebrewing community and has many youtube videos about homebrewing and homebrewing DIY projects. IMO some of the most informative available. Here's the first in his series of all grain brewing. You are extract and steeping for now but this will help you understand the process of steeping as well.

Highly recommend watching every homebrewing video he has made, extremely informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back