Tips on Cost Effective Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graemhoek

Reaction score
OK... I've got the yeast propogation bit down, but how else can I save money on my homebrewing and still turn out beer that I'll actually enjoy drinking? What shops (online) are recommended for quality and value? Kits or from scratch? Can I grow my own hops if I live in an apartment? is that silly?

if you're brewin extract - go all grain. with a cheap cooler setup (< $50) you will save a lot (and have more control over your beer). propagating yeast & harvesting from your primary is good. Starsan & iodophor are expensive - sanitize with bleach (which is really cheap) and rinse thoroughly.

Growing your own hops in an apartment just isn't gonna happen. You could try growing it in some open space near your apartment and hope no one steals the hops (its not like its weed) or animals destroy it.... (If its worth that much to you)

Better bet is to buy in bulk - or get a group buy with a local club... (works for grain too)

Agree that in the long term, the most cost-effective thing to do is brew AG. You've got some definite initial investments, though--especially if you don't already have a pot big enough to boil 7-8 gallons.

And if you have a mill (I don't yet) that allows you to buy grains in bulk at much lower prices, since unmilled grain lasts a very long time.

Yes, AG is the answer, and consider brewing more then 5 gallons at a time. You can start buying your Pale and Pilsner malt in 50lb and 25Kg bags. Not to mention you may also enjoy the benefit of purchasing your hops by the pound. I find that it takes me the same amount of time to brew 5 gallons as it does 10, and I use just about the same amount of propane.

once you obtain all the equipment necessary to achieve all grain brewing - the savings go back to pay for your equipment.

i can do 10 gallon batches for around $22

>i reuse and reclaim my yeast slurries
>i buy bulk grains from local brewery
>i buy bulk hops from hops direct

Ive come down to 5 gallon batchess at about 15 dollars a batch.

#1 money saver....I went All Grain and stopped using extracts.
#2 I use dry yeast as much as possible.

You live in an apartment, so Im not sure how well going all grain will work for you right now. But as for the yeast, well 99cents as opposed to 5-6 bucks adds up over a while.

And when I finally break down and get a mill, Ill be able to bring the cost down even more with bulk grains.

As everyone has stated you can go all grain and save a bunch per batch. Depending on how often you brew, you will make up the initial equipment cost fairly quickly.
Buying in bulk is probably the best way to save money. The best way to do this is to go in with some friends or maybe a home brew club and split the purchase. I wish I would have done this with my hops. I now have a lot of 3 different varieties and I feel like I have to use them for every brew.
Another option is to do partial mash brews. The initial cost is less and you don't need as much equipment. Take a look at this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805

Chimone said:
And when I finally break down and get a mill, Ill be able to bring the cost down even more with bulk grains.
In a typical year I'll get through 75 KG (165 lbs) of Maris Otter.

I can buy it in my LHBS for $11.00 for ten lbs ('m sure you can get it on-line a little bit cheaper), and they let me grind it for free.
On the other hand, I can get 25 KG (55 lbs) for $35.00, and a roller mill for $110.00. (I bought mine on sale for about $80.00)

Doing some very simple arithmetic, 165 lbs at $11.00 per 10 lbs cost $181.50
and 165 lbs at $35.00 per 55 lbs costs $105.00, saving me $76.50 every year for an initial cost of $80.00

If you are not going to give up brewing within a year or so, and you brew at the same rate that I do, I don't see how you can afford not to get your own mill.

Going back to the OP's question about how to save money, I think that the answer is to buy or fabricate equipment that is going to last for a long time, and produce the results that you want and in the time you have available.

All grain brewing is much more cost effective than using extract, but requires more equipment, and much more time.
Everybody has different priorities, and only you can decide what is right.

-a,

ajf said:
If you are not going to give up brewing within a year or so, and you brew at the same rate that I do, I don't see how you can afford not to get your own mill.

How right you are. Actually Im waiting to see what Yuri comes up with to be honest with you.

I buy 33lbs of Muntons LME for $49

By the time I figure in the added time, aggravation and equipment for all-grain.....It ain't worth it to me.

Back