Timm59

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm59

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just to give you my thought on gigawort
I purchase it from Midwest Supply thinking it be easier then electric stove
1st brewing work fine for stepping gain then I add extract and kick out it said on a two page hand out to unplug and push reset but do not tell you it on bottom of the machine so I drain and reset nothing happened finish on stove
This last week I try it again same thing had to reset and it work still I put 2nd extract in at 40 min and kick out again and could not get it going again
Work fine for stepping or boiling water whey it kick out I do not know I put a review on Midwest Supply site still have not received answer from Midwest Supply mybe I got a lemon I would not buy one for 199.99 if can’t do extract

Just to give you my thought on gigawort
I purchase it from Midwest Supply thinking it be easier then electric stove
1st brewing work fine for stepping gain then I add extract and kick out it said on a two page hand out to unplug and push reset but do not tell you it on bottom of the machine so I drain and reset nothing happened finish on stove
This last week I try it again same thing had to reset and it work still I put 2nd extract in at 40 min and kick out again and could not get it going again
Work fine for stepping or boiling water whey it kick out I do not know I put a review on Midwest Supply site still have not received answer from Midwest Supply mybe I got a lemon I would not buy one for 199.99 if can’t do extract

I recive a email from Midwest supply
Tom B. (Midwest Supplies)

Jan 17, 13:36 CST

Hey Rick,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issues with that gigawort. We might have some tips to get things working better. So how much liquid Malt Extract are you using in your boil? Sometimes we hear about too much syrup being at the base which causes the element to overheat. Also have you tried using the unit on a different power outlet? Trying that would rule out a possibly overloaded circuit or defective outlet. If neither of those things seem like the case we will arrange to ship the unit you have back and get you a replacement. Anything else let me know. Have a great day!
Cheers, Tom!

so next time I brew am going to transfer the water that hot in the gigawort to a pot then add malt extract and mix then pour back in gigawort to finish. we see if that work

I try my gigawort again Sunday I brew a Steve’s brew shop blue loon my gigawort work fine but instead of putting in extract in gigawort I took out 1gal of water after stepping the grain and put in a sanitized pot and add my extract in the pot mix and then pour back in the gigawort and finish the beer time work like a charm it extra steps but it still easier then electric stove thanks

I try my gigawort again Sunday I brew a Steve’s brew shop blue loon my gigawort work fine but instead of putting in extract in gigawort I took out 1gal of water after stepping the grain and put in a sanitized pot and add my extract in the pot mix and then pour back in the gigawort and finish the beer time work like a charm it extra steps but it still easier then electric stove thanks

So this is probably a newb/dumb question. But if its going back into the kettle is it a must that your mixing pot is well sanitized? Not trying to be lazy, just want to make sure I understand.

I just spray it with star san and rinse it with water. I been told as long you do 60 min boil it after the boil everything must be sanitize that touches the wort. my blue loon ( belgain white ale )from steve brew shop turn out great. Made two batches of beer last sat in the same way it easer this way then it burning on the bottom of gigawort or kicking it out then you have to pour in kettle to reset it because reset on bottom

I really like the route you've gone with the 1 gallon on the side, I've had a gigawort for a few months now and haven't tried it - I keep using my propane burner. This gives me some hope, I may give it a shot this weekend.

Have you had any issues with boiling over in the gigawort?

If you want to try something different than mixing the extract in a separate pot, try adding half, slowly while stirring, at the beginning of the boil and the rest near the end of the boil.

If you add it slowly while stirring it should mix before getting to the bottom of the pot. (You really want to do this anyway.) This will keep the extract from scorching, keep the beer lighter and may stop the Gigawort from cutting out.

I really like the route you've gone with the 1 gallon on the side, I've had a gigawort for a few months now and haven't tried it - I keep using my propane burner. This gives me some hope, I may give it a shot this weekend.

Have you had any issues with boiling over in the gigawort?

No I only do a 2 or 3 gal batch then add rest of water to fermenter I did have it to 4 gal mark but I mix the stuff in pot it get close with 4 gal in it
The other thing Is be careful when taking lid of gigawort they said set at 215 it boil pretty good with lid on but never boil over for me
I really like it now that I figure out to add water to a pot I also add water to pot when Gigawort temp reach 150 I try adding ingredients to gigawort several time but each time it kick out
I made 5 batch of beer since I been use pot to mix I wish it was a little bigger

Back