Timings for Bentonite/Campden Tablets/Potassium Sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozinkent

Reaction score
Hello,
this will be rather nubee (bee.. honey! get it...#cough) of me, but iv never used Bentonite, Campden Tablets or Potassium Sorbate before.
I under stand what they all do (clear, anti oxidant and stops fermentation) but I don't know, or I cant find when to use them.
If I use a Campden Tablet when I rack off in to my secondry, would I then use the Bentonite, wait for it to clear then use Potassium Sorbate if it hasn't stopped?
or..
Potassium Sorbate in primary, then campden when I rack off... and Bentonite to clear?

Should they over lap, can they be used together, or have 'x' amount of day between them? I don't know the order you use them in? any helpful tips?

Thanks! :)

just found this on a different forum... so I think I just answered my own question! sorry...

If anyone can confirm this is correct, ill finish and delete the thread.

#in context of backsweeting, (last sentence is what I saw as my answer)

""Potassium sorbate technically should stop the fermenting and technically you should be able to sugar it back up without it fermenting again, but I ought to warn you I currently have a brew that simply won't stop even with a double dose of pot-sorb! This is the first one that I've stabilised to sweeten and leave in the bottle with sugar to sweeten but it doesn't seem to want to stop! What I normally do is to sweeten as I serve it - I think it's the safest option!

But yes, you had it right. You stabilise it with one teaspoon of potassium sorbate and 1 Campden tablet per gallon, leave it a few days, then add finings to clear it. Once clear, then you can sweeten it.""

I generally use 1/2 tsp per gallon of wine of Potassium Sorbate, and enough Potassium Metabisulfite powder to reach my desired level of free SO2 (50ppm, generally).

If your sweetener has the potential to cloud your product then save the finings for after backsweetening (for instance, I just recently used a sweet reserve of grape juice and will fine afterwards).

BUT, obviously there are numerous ways you proceed and still end up at the finish line. ;)

Latest posts

Back