Timing Fermentation? (No Hydrometer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I no longer have my hydrometer and I started my 2.5 gallon batch of just regular mead 3 days ago. Based on what a lot of people seemed to be saying online, I am doing a 3-part addition of yeast nutrients. I've read that the 3rd feeding (which for me will be just under 0.9 g fermax and 0.9g DAP) should happen when fermentation has proceeded 2/3 of the way. Since I have no hydrometer, does anyone have any sort of ballpark as to when this will be? 1 week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Thanks!

Probably now. I find that with a healthy ferment I've either passed or am at the 1/3 break in just a few days. The real answer is cart your butt to the HB store and buy 2 hydrometers.

Buy a hydrometer.

Depends on the yeast.
I find that 1/3 mark for EC-1118 at an OG of 1.118 (hey check that out!) hit the 1/3 mark around 3 days. 2/3 mark was at 5.5 - 6 days. That last stretch to 1.000 takes the longest, though.

Oh, and this was constantly stirred via stir plate which seems to quicken the first 2/3 sugar breaks.

Latest posts

Back