Time to play: Would it explode!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Would one of these clear beer draught system canisters be safe in boiling wort? It's basically a sealed, stainless steel bubble. I assume boiling temps would be okay, but I have no real idea how much the air inside would expand at that heat.

So, HBT, I put my potential, horrible disfigurement in your hands. Will it explode?

View attachment IMG_1698.BMP

The water to steam conversion rate is somewhere around 1500:1.
Dont do it bro![emoji615]️

I'm sure it wouldn't explode, but I would worry about how the plastic/rubber parts would hold up to boiling.

Why do you want to boil it? Why not just use a sanitizer?

Edit: ^ this ^

I'm sure it wouldn't explode, but I would worry about how the plastic/rubber parts would hold up to boiling.

Why do you want to boil it? Why not just use a sanitizer?

I wouldn't actually be looking to do it for sanitation. I have this idea rattling around in my head to run high temp tubing from the spigot in my kettle to one of these.

To get an idea of where I'm coming from, my standard dry hopping procedure is to secure a nylon bag around on of these and dry hop in the keg. It does an exquisite job of leaving the hops behind while getting as much beer out as possible.

Thus enters the idea: can I use the same process to gather wort from the kettle after an uber-hopped IPA?

It will likely not explode. In my younger days I would have geeked out on calculating the pressure for you, but you should be just fine....

Edit: ^ this ^

I wouldn't actually be looking to do it for sanitation. I have this idea rattling around in my head to run high temp tubing from the spigot in my kettle to one of these.

To get an idea of where I'm coming from, my standard dry hopping procedure is to secure a nylon bag around on of these and dry hop in the keg. It does an exquisite job of leaving the hops behind while getting as much beer out as possible.

Thus enters the idea: can I use the same process to gather wort from the kettle after an uber-hopped IPA?

Why not sanitize it, and then add it to the wort after the wort is chilled?

It will likely not explode. In my younger days I would have geeked out on calculating the pressure for you, but you should be just fine....

the pressure will go up proportional to temperature (since volume is basically fixed).

so 373/300=1.24 atmospheres, assuming it's 1 atm inside at room T.
Or 24kPa, or 3.5 psi. Definitely won't explode from internal air pressure.

Whether the welding seals may crack due to thermal expansion is another issue.

fwiw, my Blingmann autosparge uses SS float balls, one for the valve mechanism and the other to float the end of the discharge tube atop the mash.
More welds than that cylinder and it does see at least 170°F (not quite boiling but getting there)...

Cheers!

the pressure will go up proportional to temperature (since volume is basically fixed).

so 373/300=1.24 atmospheres, assuming it's 1 atm inside at room T.
Or 24kPa, or 3.5 psi. Definitely won't explode from internal air pressure.

Whether the welding seals may crack due to thermal expansion is another issue.

I don't have a point of bearing behind those numbers, myself, but I assume you're saying that: assuming it's 1 atmospheric pressure inside the canister at room temp, it would be 1.24 atmospheric pressure at 212F, which is equivalent to 3.5 PSI. Is that right?

Latest posts

Back