time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nelson rye IPA

(Also, I appreciate the picture hint for this! :D )

Close enough. I was hoping for the brewery to be named but I'm starting to think that this brewery is less widely known than I thought!

Alpine Brewing Nelson IPA

20140717_132436 (Large).jpg

Cool. I have heard mention of this brewery, actually, but I've never seen their beers around here.

Anyway, here's the next one. I want style and two adjuncts. First hint: this one can be cellared.

EDIT: Crap, uploaded this from my phone, sorry for the sideways picture...

image.jpg

Bourbon barrel barelywine with dates

This is getting pretty close. I will tell you that oak (maybe not specifically a bourbon barrel, but whatever) is one of the two adjuncts. I will also not be a jerk and force a distinction between barleywine and old ale, which is what this beer is marketed as. For a really interesting and detailed take on these two difficult-to-distinguish styles, by the way, you might like to read this article.

Anyway, all that leads us this far: this is an oak-aged old ale.

We're still missing one adjunct!

EDIT: I know it was a simple typo, but I LOVE that you called this a "barelywine"

Well, technically it's been a couple days, and although no one has made any guesses in that time, I'll add another hint. The second adjunct is not a fruit. Any guesses?

No sir. The second adjunct is something sweet. (Well, at least it is sweet on its own. Fermentation obviously has something to say about it.)

Next one:

Style plus three adjuncts, but I'll accept two adjuncts because two of them are in the same umbrella. If you name the specific beer you win a special cookie.

20140728_145308 (Large).jpg

Lemon and lime are in the right botanical family for all the adjuncts, but it's neither lemon nor lime.

Saison is not close.

Orange is correct (two adjuncts are varieties of orange, hence why I would accept two adjuncts)
Grapefruit is correct
Cream ale is not correct.

At this point anyone who has had this beer knows the exact answer, but since it's been several days I don't mind giving it away.

Additional hint: California brewery. Their location is across from an airport and they're named accordingly. If that doesn't give it away, I don't know what will... I just want to have the next one up so I can start sleuthing again!

Latest posts

Back