Time to pick my next country of assignment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
I am a military attache and my entire career is spent going from embassy to embassy. I still have 1 1/2 years to go here in Libya but I have just received my list of possible follow on assignments. I have to put them in order from most favorite to least favorite. So these are the countries I have to choose from, and they are all FAR superior to Libya, so I am fairly happy right now.

So, if it were you, how would you order the following countries?

Paris, France
Santiago, Chile
Berlin, Germany
Belgrade, Serbia
Seoul, Korea

I loved Germany, Belgrade is not on my list of cities to visit again. I hated Paris, and have never been to Chile or Korea.

I am a military attache and my entire career is spent going from embassy to embassy. I still have 1 1/2 years to go here in Libya but I have just received my list of possible follow on assignments. I have to put them in order from most favorite to least favorite. So these are the countries I have to choose from, and they are all FAR superior to Libya, so I am fairly happy right now.

So, if it were you, how would you order the following countries?

Paris, France
Santiago, Chile
Berlin, Germany
Belgrade, Serbia
Seoul, Korea

1. Berlin
2. Paris
3. Santiago
4. Belgrade
5. Seoul

I like Berlin and Paris, but not to live in. I lived in Frankfurt for a few years, and I loved that.

I've never been to Chile- so that's where I'd go!

I would imagine that each choice would do something to either further or stall your career. Probably the crappiest places have the most potential for promotion at some point. But I would be interested in Chile first. Can you comment on how the location impact your career advancement?

I would imagine that each choice would do something to either further or stall your career. Probably the crappiest places have the most potential for promotion at some point. But I would be interested in Chile first. Can you comment on how the location impact your career advancement?

I probably have one of the best jobs in the military. I am a US Army Warrant Officer and my MOS is 350Z. Description.

There are only about 60 of us in the world. 5 billets are in DC and the rest are in embassies around the world. Promotion wise, warrant officers have it easier than commissioned officers. Unless we screw up we are pretty much assured our promotions up through CW4. CW5 is the highest we can reach and that one is competitive. If I want to keep working overseas and don't have any aspirations of making CW5 (must have at least 20 years of service to make that grade anyway) then it doesn't matter what assignments I take.

If I decide to stay in past 20 and go for CW5 then a variety of assignments would probably be best. All the assignments I have listed are quite a bit different from what I have done in the past so that is good. I have worked in Mexico, Ecuador, and Suriname as an NCO. And Cambodia, Vietnam and Libya as a Warrant.

I could volunteer for a one year unaccompanied assignment at the embassy in Iraq but SWMBO has vetoed that.

Paris is at the top of my list because that is what SWMBO wants. Personally I would love Santiago because I love the great outdoors and that area is famous for outdoor recreation.

Germany
Chile
Korea
Serbia
France

I've been to France, Germany, and Chile. Wasn't too fond of Paris or the people I met while I was there. Paris' taxi drivers seem very happy to rip off tourists and treat them like **** so I will definitely not be going back to France. I loved the time I spent in Munich and Santiago.

I would pick Chile if it were me in your position, I love the culture associated with south america and also I hear the weather is nice to boot. France would be alright, but I would put Germany second on the list.

1. Santiago. Only because I've been there but was too young to really appreciate it
  2. Berlin
  3. Paris
  4. Seoul
  5. Belgrade

I have a friend who lives in Seoul right now and it seems like a really, really nice city to visit if you are a tech geek, but the possibility of turmoil in the next couple of years is very real.

Paris is great, but I would still go with Berlin. Almost everyone speaks English on an acceptable level and it's just a cleaner, better city overall in my opinion. Plus, great beer culture in Germany and a lot of possibilities for outdoors activities, especially skiing.

You really can't go wrong with any of the places you listed though.

My two cents based on my limited military experience

Germany would be my number one choice based on the year I spent there one night. Great people, food, and culture.

Korea would be my last choice. Maybe Seoul is different but when I was in Taegu the open sewer ditches and the haze of smog made staying inside a preferred alternative.

Can't speak for the other places.

Hope that wherever you end up is great. What an enviable burden of choice you bear!

Chile
France
Germany
Serbia
Korea

But I would also give a little bit more preference to any of them that would likely NOT come around again. If you're sure that they would be there the next time you get sent on to the next place, then they should get a lower priority, IMHO.

Back