Time to get 3 gal to a boil? (stovetop)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
Im going on about 30-40 min and Im at 185 - 190 what do you usually see in the amount of time? Please specify if your on stove or fryer

Thanks!

i've never timed it, but i can get just about a full boil going on my electric stove. sometimes it has taken over an hour, but recently its been probably 30 minutes since i switched to AG and the water is already ~160.

things to do to make it faster:
get the hottest water your tap will give
put your pot over two burners if it will fit. i use mine on one big one and a little bit of the pot on one small one. i haven't tested but it seems to go much faster
put the top on, but check to make sure you don't get a boilover
aluminum pots conduct heat better than stainless steel
or you could make one of those insulated wraps that i have seen on here.

30-40 minutes is a bit long for 3 gallons, but not quite ridiculous.

Sounds good it was rolling boil prolly about 45 miniutes in I was testing just the water time.. Ill do another test later tomm with it on full power.. im not to concerned with 45 minutes I guess at least i can plan around it..

Thanks

I used to boil 5 gallons on the stove top and it would take at least an hour for my electric stove. All the more reason to go to propane/natural gas outside.

i thought it was even quicker than 15 with a burner. as soon as i move out of the city and get a real house (or at least a yard) i am going to get a turkey fryer. seems so much nicer to be outside brewing too.

I did a second test today again 45 in rolling boil..Taking this information into account Im satisfied, come home put it on shower stat doing things and get to brewing in 45.

Now once its wort is the "viscosity" (may not be right word) diff like when i stir in everything it obviously loses some temp is it typically gonna take a while to get back to boil?

Back