Time to dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtrfwlnut

Reaction score
I believe I'm going to dry hop the batch I have fermenting this week (this is a different beer from the all-grain batch I posted about on another thread). Wednesday makes 21 days since I pitched so I think she should be ready. I'll take readings to make sure over the next couple days.

I will be gone for a few days so here is my question: Should I add the dry hops to the batch and just let it go beyond the 5 days that I plan to let them soak? Or just wait and dry hop when I get home (this will add 5 or 6 more days sitting in the carboy), soak them for 5 days and then cold crash for 2 days and keg?

I have a fermentation chamber so there is no risk of temperature issues, just added fermentation time. I don't think that will hurt anything, just wanting some other opinions.

Thanks,

Chris

What hops are you using to dryhop ? My understanding is dryhopping too long can lead to some off flavors depending on the Hops. I haven't done too many IPAs, only recently did my first one a few weeks ago for SWMBO. We ended up having to leave the dry hops in there for 8 or 9 days because we underestimated couple of bills and wanted to buy some more of the ez-cap bottles and had to wait till payday. It turned out fine, we did not get any bad or off flavors from it so honestly I don't think a few extra days would hurt - but others with more experience may know something I don't.

Last edited:
Either will work, there isn't a yes or no answer to this question. The risk you run with dry hopping for more than five days is the possibility of grassy or vegetation type flavors, in addition to the hoppy goodness. There is no risk to letting the batch sit in your carboy/fermenter for another few days, though. But maybe you have some other reason that you don't want to wait that long - you need the beer for a party you've got planned, or whatever. All things being equal, I would wait until after you return to dry hop.

Lately, like since earlier this spring, I have taken to cold crashing for longer, a week or two, and think it has impacted my beers positively, both in terms of appearance but also flavor. Lagering is good for beer, which I suppose shouldn't come as a surprise.

Awesome, yeah thanks. I think I'm going to wait until I get back. No pressing reason to dry hop now. I will try the extra long cold crash also. I have been fermenting for 20 days so far at 67 Deg F and plan to dry hop for 5 days at same temp then cold crash for 2 more. However I may now try cold crashing for longer but I may have to rack to secondary to do that (I was trying not to do that, was hoping to accomplish everything in 1 carboy before kegging).

Dry-hopping with 1oz Calypso, 1oz Centennial, 1/2oz Belma. - recipe recommends 5 days on the dry hop. I may have to go to secondary anyway.

No big, all just fun science projects I get to drink.

Latest posts

Back