Time to brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Been a long time since my last batch...a little over ten years. Finally ready to jump back in. Moved to a newer and much bigger house a few years ago but it has no "ideal" space to brew. Decided to start cleaning up the garage...need to rip out some old shelves, plumb in a sink and do some electrical (mainly for lighting but am considering a 30A 220v circuit just in case I decide to go electric).

Set up for single step infusion mashing in a cooler. Have a new 10 gallon Igloo I bought way back when but never finished converting to a Mash Tun. Plan on getting that ready to go. Have a Keggle that I've used for hot water and boiling...use a smaller 5 gallon Igloo for sparging. All gravity - no pumps.

Just scored another Keg to convert so I'm planning a "sculpture" similar to morebeer.com's 1550. The short term plan is to stick with a cooler for mashing, 2 burners for hot water and boiling and get a pump for sparging. Maybe add a HERMS coil to the hot water tank in the future.

Anyways, way cool site!! Lots of info to dig through!

Thanks,
Deric

Check out the BIAB set ups on here, all electric and you can use the system you have to brew in the mean time. Welcome aboard & Cheers:)

Thanks for the tip!! For now, I'm going to stick with gas...trying to make sure anything I buy can be easily converted to electric if I choose to.

Just scored a second keg (soon to be keggle) from a buddy who happens to be a badass welder. Ordered a bunch of fittings from bargainfittings.com for the new keggle and my MT.

Thought my wife (SWMBO?) might groan about me spending money but as soon as she heard I was going to brew again she told me I should go ahead and buy a pump and new burner.:ban:

That pretty much gets me ready to brew!! With much better equipment than I had before.

Plan on getting the new March809 from Morebeer.com. Can't make up my mind on the burner - either a SQ14 or a KAB6. Will be doing 10 gallon batches in keggles.... I've searched and read here for a couple of hours and just keep changing my mind. Was set on the KAB6....read some more...decided that it might be overkill and a propane hog...settled on the SQ14....read some more.... Now my brain hurts!

Still plan on plumbing the garage...got to find a plumber who likes beer!

Back