Time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenKa_zeus

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm currently on my first ever home brew. I'm brewing an all grain hefeweizen, I've moved it to my secondary bottling bucket which I've primed with fresh wort and it has started fermenting again (hooray!). My question is at what SG will it be ready for bottling? My estimated final SG is 12 and was thinking of bottling when it hits 16? Being a hefeweizen I want high carbonation but obviously don't want any bottle bombs!

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The good rule most people follow for their beers is checking the FG a few times when you think fermentation is done or ready to bottle. Each beer/yeast type will have a different stopping point. If there is no change between the reading then it's ready to bottle. I would not bottle if the beer hasn't reach its FG because of the fun bottle bombs that can happen. Just wait till its done then add the appropiate amount of sugar for your carbonation.

Back