Time on fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrightDevil

Reaction score
Alright, first question here and I've done some searching around here and some other forums, but I wanted to get opinions on this specifically. I've been a lurker for quite awhile. I'm currently making a strawberry-kiwi melomel that's at hydromel strength. Here's the recipe:

• ~4.5 lbs local Clover honey (to get to OG 1.054)
  • 3 gallons tap water (boiled the day before to sterilize and eliminate chlorine)
  • Yeast nutrient
  • 1.5 tsp pectic enzyme
Stop fermentation using potassium sorbate and campden tablets once it goes dry.
Secondary:
  • 4 lb strawberries (frozen then mashed)
  • 2.5 lb kiwis (frozen then mashed)
  • Possibly some oak (~.5oz for 1-2 weeks before bottling)

I'm thinking of racking this guy off the fruit after just 2 weeks. It's been a bit more than a week and it already seems like there's enough fruit flavor in it. However, I don't want that flavor to dissipate too much in tertiary and aging. It also seems like it has a lot of fruit in it for the alcohol strength, so I'm thinking that just 2 weeks will be enough to get the flavor I need out of it.

By the way, I'm asking because I'm planning on using that fermenter for a batch of wine this weekend. But I am going to the homebrew shop this Friday and can pick up another fermenter if need-be; it's just a plastic bucket, so it's not a big expense or anything.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I'd consider aging on additional fruit. The problem with strawberries, and kiwi for that matter, is that the character is light and fleeting. That's not enough fruit to begin with, IMO. Racking onto the same amount would be good.

I make mostly wines, not meads, but I generally do 5 days on the fruit before racking off. If you look at the fruit, if it's gray and "used up", then you won't get more out of it so it's best to either rack onto new fruit if you want more, or to rack off and age if you like the amount of fruit flavor you like.

Back