TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 3D printed case that @Thorrak posted the STL files for. It has a cutout on the top to expose the screen and has a small hole to allow the power cable to plug into the board.

I'm not sure how much heat that screen puts out, but perhaps you could cut the top of that box in the same way.

Cheers!

Chris
Am I way behind the "Curve", and everyone has a 3D printer, and I do not? I thought they were very expensive, but a quick search shows some cheep $200 and the sky's-the-limit $$
What printer are you all using, to build stuff with? I just keep buying "boxes" to house all of my little projects in, and by now, I could have bought a printer instead?
Thanks @Exception13 , for seeding this in my head, as my next purchase

Am I way behind the "Curve", and everyone has a 3D printer, and I do not? I thought they were very expensive, but a quick search shows some cheep $200 and the sky's-the-limit $$
What printer are you all using, to build stuff with? I just keep buying "boxes" to house all of my little projects in, and by now, I could have bought a printer instead?
Thanks @Exception13 , for seeding this in my head, as my next purchase
Sorry bout that. 🤭

To be clear, I don't own a 3D printer. But my brother does. Also, @Thorrak will sell you one. He mentioned a site up there ⬆️ somewhere.

Chris

* And @gromitdj has linked it below *

Last edited:
Also, 3D printers aren't "plug and play". So, If you don't enjoy the tinkering you have to do with the Tiltbridge, a 3D Printer (especially a budget friendly brand) might not be for you.

Just a friendly warning...

If you want to show Thorrak a little love for all of the work he does, you can purchase a case from him here:

Fermentrack Tindie Page

I use an Ender 5, which was approx. $400 when purchased. While it does produce good prints, I am constantly having to make both software and hardware adjustments.

Last edited:
Yes, Fermentrack.
I understand "bound". Maybe I am just thinking too much, but I was not sure why I would Unbound my Tilt from the controller? Once it is added into Fermentrack, then it is always bound (or attached), to the running script. I guess if you did not want the Tilt in your fermenting wort, then the graph page would just be "clutter" on your GUI page, and you would then Unbound it to clean up the page? I just never tried to unattached it, since I am just happy now, Fermentrack and the Tiltbridge are running smoothly now!
As far as the ABV potential, my next brew will start from the beginning Original Gravity on Fermentrack, and then this reading should make sense.

Fermentrack allows you to track both gravity and fermentation temperature separately — in case you wanted to track your Tilt without owning a BrewPi, for example. Do I anticipate that anyone actually uses it this way? Probably not, but it’s an option!

Does anyone know if putting your ESP32 in this case (under the screen), with just a small hole for the power cable in, and another small hole (1/2inch) opposite side, is enough ventilation to keep the ESP from getting too hot. No exhaust fan here as you see. I used the case that was shippedView attachment 816766 with the ESP

I’m going to be very careful with my answer here. ;) If it was me, I don’t think that I would worry, though I might check it after a few hours to make sure it wasn’t running extremely hot to the touch. Running an ESP in an environment where there was inadequate ventilation might result in a lower life, however.

But seriously - ESP-32s can be potted, so I can’t imagine this being too problematic.

What is a HO laptop? And what Tilt app are you referring to — Tilt Pi?

TiltBridge is a hardware solution which might work for you, but you would need a device to load it with. If you have a desktop/laptop that can run either BrewFlasher desktop (or Chrome with BrewFlasher Web) then you may be able to build one and solve your problem.
Thank you! Mistyped... should have been HP Laptop.

Fermentrack allows you to track both gravity and fermentation temperature separately — in case you wanted to track your Tilt without owning a BrewPi, for example. Do I anticipate that anyone actually uses it this way? Probably not, but it’s an option!

I’m going to be very careful with my answer here. ;) If it was me, I don’t think that I would worry, though I might check it after a few hours to make sure it wasn’t running extremely hot to the touch. Running an ESP in an environment where there was inadequate ventilation might result in a lower life, however.

But seriously - ESP-32s can be potted, so I can’t imagine this being too problematic.
I bought one of your 3D cases, so if it melts inside this, I'll send the molten lava back! LOL

Where do you find the QR code so I can scan it and add to my Android Tiltbridge app? I was able to find this in the Settings in the past , from the ESP32 assigned IP addresses, but can not find this one? Am I cracking up?
I can manually add the GUID, but not sure if this is the MAC address my Router gives this, or where this GUID is shown/assigned.
Post # 910 also asks this question, but I do not see an answer anywhere (I tried to find the answer, so I don't have to ask dumb questions...)

New build and this is what I got.
Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• 6944DAE9-A494-468F-BF4A-189E8E877979.jpeg
    6944DAE9-A494-468F-BF4A-189E8E877979.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 0
  • E6CCC2A3-18BF-4A24-917D-CD2525B5A680.jpeg
    E6CCC2A3-18BF-4A24-917D-CD2525B5A680.jpeg
    773.9 KB · Views: 0
Where do you find the QR code so I can scan it and add to my Android Tiltbridge app? I was able to find this in the Settings in the past , from the ESP32 assigned IP addresses, but can not find this one? Am I cracking up?
I can manually add the GUID, but not sure if this is the MAC address my Router gives this, or where this GUID is shown/assigned.
Post # 910 also asks this question, but I do not see an answer anywhere (I tried to find the answer, so I don't have to ask dumb questions...)
@UncleD

I was hoping he was around -- he's the one who built the Android TiltBridge app (as well as the QR code login mechanism).
If I am not mistaking, the other 2 ESP32's, that I linked into the Android App, I found the QR code in the Settings tab, once you log into your given IP address for the new Brewflasher loaded board. But this time with a new naked board (no screen), I can not find that QR code anywhere to scan it??? and not knowlegable enough to find the GUID code given to this, so I can copy-and-paste it in manually....
Thanks John! Tiltbridge working like a Charm now with the two Tilts!

If I am not mistaking, the other 2 ESP32's, that I linked into the Android App, I found the QR code in the Settings tab, once you log into your given IP address for the new Brewflasher loaded board. But this time with a new naked board (no screen), I can not find that QR code anywhere to scan it??? and not knowlegable enough to find the GUID code given to this, so I can copy-and-paste it in manually....
Thanks John! Tiltbridge working like a Charm now with the two Tilts!
Oh. I completely misunderstood. Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing in the web browser when you try to load the TiltBridge interface?

Oh. I completely misunderstood. Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing in the web browser when you try to load the TiltBridge interface?
Maybe my "wording" is messed up, since I am not up to speed on all this programming language... I am just trying to get the new naked board (OLED build with no screen) to migrate the ESP32 readings into the App. I got my two Tilts running good in the App together from the past two boards (with a screen), by scanning the QR code that appeared in the Tiltbridge web page. I am almost 100% sure, the QR code symbol shows up in the "Settings" tab, once you log into your given IP address for the newly installed board. But this time, I searched everywhere, to try and find the QR or the GUID, and have no clue.
Thanks!

No worries -- what I'm trying to figure out is this part of what you said:

... by scanning the QR code that appeared in the Tiltbridge web page. I am almost 100% sure, the QR code symbol shows up in the "Settings" tab, once you log into your given IP address for the newly installed board.

So what do you see when you go to the settings tab when you log into the IP address for the newly-installed board?

No worries -- what I'm trying to figure out is this part of what you said:

So what do you see when you go to the settings tab when you log into the IP address for the newly-installed board?
I see the "usual" GUI, but I am sure I am not cracking up, and I did get the QR code somewhere here, on the past 2 boards I linked to the App.... I was not drinking at the time! I promise!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    184.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
I see the "usual" GUI, but I am sure I am not cracking up, and I did get the QR code somewhere here, on the past 2 boards I linked to the App.... I was not drinking at the time! I promise!!
I would never accuse anyone of such a thing!

(but also, I think you have the wrong version of the firmware installed -- when you have a sec, try reflashing with v1.2.0, and you'll probably solve it. If you want to prove that this is the case, take a look at the "About" tab)

I would never accuse anyone of such a thing!

(but also, I think you have the wrong version of the firmware installed -- when you have a sec, try reflashing with v1.2.0, and you'll probably solve it. If you want to prove that this is the case, take a look at the "About" tab)
I did have the V1.1.1 OLED flashed, so I just reflashed with the V1.2.1 and get the same GUI
When you open the Tiltbridge App on your Android phone, there is a "+" sign to add another Tilt to this app, and in the past, I just scanned the QR code that I found on your Tiltbridge GUI homepage, after entering in the new assigned IP address (after connecting to your home router network)
Screenshot (28).pngScreenshot (27).png

Hmm. Before I start debugging, did you use BrewFlasher Web or Desktop?
I used Brewflasher.
Just to be clear, I am not 100% sure that I "found" the QR code on the Tiltbridge user interface homepage..... I have the Tiltbridge working now very well with two Tilts, and I was just "playing around" and adding another board ESP to the App, just for shits-n-giggles. So it is not critical that I figure this out, where the lost QR code is, or came from. I will try in a few days, to reflash one of the good working boards with a screen, and see if I can find the QR code, once again....
Please don't waste your time, cause it may be my forgetting, where I found the codes in the past

Tiltbridge in double-duty-action! Red-X malt by BestMalz, experimental lager on left, Kolsch on right
Two Tilts being logged on the Bridge, black and pink. Working great!
Now I can see my gravity's, anywhere I have a computer or phone to log onto my router.
Thanks @Thorrak

Attachments

• 20230424_080637.jpg
    20230424_080637.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230424_080642.jpg
    20230424_080642.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I got the tiltbridge firmware installed using esptool.py on my ESP32 and got it attached to my local network. However, Fermentrack was unable to connect and when I try to access http://tiltbridge.local I get 'too many redirects trying to open "tiltbridge.local/404/"'

Any ideas of how to proceed?

One thing that seemed a little off is that I had set the mDNS to "Tiltbridge1", but it is responding to tiltbridge.local and not tiltbridge1.local.

I tried reflashing the part, but that apparently doesn't make it forget the network. Is there another region that should get erased using esptool.py?

The part is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718T232Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Here is the download command: esptool.py --chip esp32 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash 0xe000 bin/boot_app0.bin 0x1000 bin/bootloader_dio_40m.bin 0x10000 bin/lcd_ssd1306_firmware.bin 0x8000 bin/lcd_ssd1306_partitions.bin 0x310000 bin/lcd_ssd1306_spiffs.bin

Thanks for any help!

OK, I was a programmer back in the early 80s and can read C code well enough to see that when the http server can't find a file it redirects to "404.htm", which it also can't find. Safari is wise enough to terminate the infinite loop and give the (minimally) helpful message.

I'm guessing this means that the file system didn't get built or downloaded correctly (which also explains why trying to reset the wifi using http://tiltbridge.local/wifireset doesn't work).

I'll keep digging, but would love some help.

Try using web.brewflasher.com to flash the firmware. It will eliminate a lot of variables.
Thanks, but that doesn't work on a Mac. I tried the Brewflasher app first and it failed with no meaningful error message. I also tried flashing it from Fermentrack on my Raspberry Pi, with similar (negative) results. I was able to flash it with esptool (at least it claimed success), but clearly something is messed up.

Since my last post, I have figured out how to access the log via the screen console app (more or less) and I get the following:
<Random unprintable characters deleted>
E (640) esp_core_dump_flash: No core du<more unprintable characters>found!
E (640) esp_core_dump_flash: No core dump partition found!
E (31) SPIFFS: mount failed, -10025

I'm suspecting that one or more of the addresses in the command line are wrong, so the core image and file system image are getting downloaded to the wrong place. But that's just a guess at this point.

Thanks.
Doesn't work in Safari.
Reading the logs works in Chrome. Downloading doesn't.
Log is somewhat more readable:
-^R:^F[^P^OlL^X^PE (640) esp_core_dump_flash: No core duѥѥfound!

ets Jul 29 2019 12:21:46

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)

configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee

clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00

mode:DIO, clock div:2

load:0x3fff0018,len:4

load:0x3fff001c,len:1044

load:0x40078000,len:10044

load:0x40080400,len:5872

entry 0x400806ac

E (640) esp_core_dump_flash: No core duѥѥfound!

Attempting to flash using web.brewflasher.com gives the following error:
Installation failed
Failed to initialize. Try resetting your device or holding the BOOT button while clicking INSTALL.

esptool can talk to the device (and underlies brew flasher, as I understand it) but something is either not being loaded to the right place or is not being built correctly. And I am not clear why brew flasher can't talk to the device, but that's why I tried plan C.

OK, I was a programmer back in the early 80s and can read C code well enough to see that when the http server can't find a file it redirects to "404.htm", which it also can't find. Safari is wise enough to terminate the infinite loop and give the (minimally) helpful message.

I'm guessing this means that the file system didn't get built or downloaded correctly (which also explains why trying to reset the wifi using http://tiltbridge.local/wifireset doesn't work).

I'll keep digging, but would love some help.
DAMN! i GO back to the !970's ... Still remember, hooking up my COBOL, to the Telephone Line, and hearing the connection! Hacked the ****, out of my College... Robert Morris College, (now U))
My Print-out, was on Thermal heat Tape..... all black and white, of course

Some dev boards do not go into boot mode correctly. There are two buttons on your board, one is reset and one is boot. In theory you should be able to hit boot and flash.

You’re on the right path, the firmware is not getting uploaded or not correctly.

You’re on the right path, the firmware is not getting uploaded or not correctly.
Problem solved. Predictably, the problem was out-of-date documentation. The instructions for installing tiltbridge using esptool.py don't match the partition table in 4mb_no_ota.csv; the SPIFFS binary should be downloaded to 0x330000. Once I fixed that, everything works fine.

Problem solved. Predictably, the problem was out-of-date documentation. The instructions for installing tiltbridge using esptool.py don't match the partition table in 4mb_no_ota.csv; the SPIFFS binary should be downloaded to 0x330000. Once I fixed that, everything works fine.
Ah - thanks for that. Instructions have now been updated to correct.

@bloombrews sorry for the delayed response, been really busy lately! The QR code is generated by the tiltbridge UI and the Android app parses the GUID from it and adds it to your account. If the QR code isn't showing up, I would agree with @Thorrak that perhaps you have an issue with the firmware version installed? I hope you're liking the app, sorry I haven't been able to commit time to more features. Cheers!

@bloombrews sorry for the delayed response, been really busy lately! The QR code is generated by the tiltbridge UI and the Android app parses the GUID from it and adds it to your account. If the QR code isn't showing up, I would agree with @Thorrak that perhaps you have an issue with the firmware version installed? I hope you're liking the app, sorry I haven't been able to commit time to more features. Cheers!
Keep on working, UncleD! (no @... dont want to disturb My Rent-an_Uncle ) That is more important, then "Our" .... "problems"!
No money here...... Just lots of LOVE, from Brewer's, that damn appreciates ALL of the work, that is here on HBT, for us Freeloader's, to soak up.... and make better beer.
As Always, I have too many Iron's, in the Fire, and have several Tiltbridges,with 2 running RPi"s.
One RPi with BPR running, and FT on the other....
My take-away, from your response is, I may have flashed the wrong fermware...?
The QR code just never "showed up", that last 2 ESP32, that I Brewflashed.
I am still running the first 2 ESP32 boards successfully, ....
just have to uninstall, then reinstall the Tilts, after I end logging, stop the Controller. No problem, just my lack of WTF I am doing!
You Gentlemen Rock!
Work ON!

Last edited:
Back