Tilt hydrometer SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my YYZ- Warm Fermented Lager using Wyeast 2112
YYZ (PURPLE TILT).png

Last edited:
My latest- Saison using 3711.
It didn't go quick but it just kept going and going until I kegged it. I'm sure the last few points will still chip away and start carbonation.
chart (1).png

Just got my tilt and setup to work with my brucontrol panel. It was very easy. Short of the $10 esp dev board which I literally just plug into a cell phone charger and load the firmware to work with brucontrol its pretty much plug in play and free if you already have brucontrol.

For anyone who doesn't want to use a phone to pick up their Tilt's readings, I just released a project that I've been working on to help called TiltBridge.

TiltBridge is a single component ESP32-based Tilt-to-WiFi bridge which supports relaying Tilt readings to Fermentrack, Brewer's Friend, and Google Sheets.

The TiltBridge firmware is designed to run on any ESP32 board and as a result can be installed without any soldering/wiring whatsoever. It also supports an optional OLED screen for displaying gravities at your fermenter - including utilizing certain ESP32 boards where the OLED screen is built in. Flashing the TiltBridge firmware can be done using esptool.py or via Fermentrack for those who have it installed.

For those who are interested, I've created a thread on HBT for the TiltBridge device which is available here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...lt-to-wifi-device-for-tilt-hydrometer.664368/

Off of the topic of actual components, with my tilt I noticed my beer finished in 4 days (wheat beer). My gravity has been constant for 2 days, even tho it hasn’t changed should I still wait the “2 weeks” before bottling or can I get rid of this puppy and start my next project if it stay consistent 2 more days? It’s only a 1.75 gal batch too and I planned on bottle aging it a few weeks. With it being wheat they are supposed to be a bit hazy too so didn’t know if waiting was necessary or if I should just cold crash night before and git-r-done.

Last edited:
Off of the topic of actual components, with my tilt I noticed my beer finished in 4 days (wheat beer). My gravity has been constant for 2 days, even tho it hasn’t changed should I still wait the “2 weeks” before bottling or can I get rid of this puppy and start my next project if it stay consistent 2 more days?
There is not a rule that requires you to wait 2 weeks. There is the general idea that even though active/visible fermentation is finished, some people (like me) tack on a couple of days to let the yeast clean up some of its own byproducts created during the initial alcohol formation phase. I don't have a Tilt so go by active bubbling plus a couple of clean up days. That's like 7 to 10 days.

Off of the topic of actual components, with my tilt I noticed my beer finished in 4 days (wheat beer). My gravity has been constant for 2 days, even tho it hasn’t changed should I still wait the “2 weeks” before bottling or can I get rid of this puppy and start my next project if it stay consistent 2 more days? It’s only a 1.75 gal batch too and I planned on bottle aging it a few weeks. With it being wheat they are supposed to be a bit hazy too so didn’t know if waiting was necessary or if I should just cold crash night before and git-r-done.
I do something similar. If you see my graphs above, the full curve takes place in about 8 days for these brews, (yeast, temp, fermentables all change the time). I then add 2 more days to let them clean up a bit, but I don't log that data because there isn't much to see.

IMG_0979.JPG

Looking at mine it’s already been at the same for over a day, so I didn’t know if bottling in 2 more days would be too soon or not

Last edited:
I love mine. I bought a really cheap ($30) amazon tablet (fire?) and use that as a dedicated monitor for the tilt.

I've had great luck with the tilt as far as accuracy and reliability. I love having that information and it's particularly nice when you want to do things like dry hop or transfer to a keg at certain points in the fermentation.

I watched Homebrew finds and bought mine on sale for $115 shipped (version 2).

Jack's Shiner- A Shiner Bock clone using MJ-54.
Screenshot_20190408-160332_Sheets.jpg

------Yes, this was basically done with primary ferm after only 2 days.

Screenshot_2019-04-11-09-56-15.png

Here's my current beer - Medusa and Azacca IPA with Omega Gulo. SG dropped like a rock. Ramping temps up towards the top end of the range to ensure a full fermentation.

Mine has not been accurate at all so far, calibrated in water and dropped into a conical of beer measured 1.074 with hydrometer.. tilt read 1.063.. Checked and shook it - same.. Its said 1.003 for a couple days now which I know is too low, perhaps I did something wrong when I calibrated it to measure 1.000 in water.

There is some artistry required to calibrate equipment properly. I know I need to enter at least 2 if not 3 calibration points to get my Tilt to read accurately. Calibration in water alone is not sufficient. Assuming your regular hydrometer has been calibrated in water, then you can trust it to enter a calibration point in the Tilt app from 1.063 to 1.074 to add the necessary second calibration point. Then from 1.074 to 1.000 it should be reasonably accurate. You can check again part way through fermentation with both the old regular hydro and compare with the Tilt to enter a third calibration point IF necessary. Then your Tilt should read a little more accurately for future batches.

Mine has not been accurate at all so far, calibrated in water and dropped into a conical of beer measured 1.074 with hydrometer.. tilt read 1.063.. Checked and shook it - same.. Its said 1.003 for a couple days now which I know is too low, perhaps I did something wrong when I calibrated it to measure 1.000 in water.

Is your hydrometer calculated? After calibrating my tilt I thought it was off because my hydrometer read 6 points lower than my tilt BUT when I tested my hydrometer (in distilled water which should read 1.000) it turned out my tilt was actually correct and my hydrometer had not been

Is your hydrometer calculated? After calibrating my tilt I thought it was off because my hydrometer read 6 points lower than my tilt BUT when I tested my hydrometer (in distilled water which should read 1.000) it turned out my tilt was actually correct and my hydrometer had not been
hydrometer is correct, we also use a refractometer in the brerwery. right now its saying the belgian strong ale is at 1.003 which is way lower than the hydrometer measured post fermentation as well but not the same .011 off. before I calibrated I used the default calibration which also fluctuated between .998 and 1.000 in water when I tested it, on another beer and it was reading too low there as well. I will try the multipoint calibration. I want to get 3 more of these for the brewpub but not if they are going to be so off.

Last edited:
hydrometer is correct, we also use a refractometer in the brerwery. right now its saying the belgian strong ale is at 1.003 which is way lower than the hydrometer measured post fermentation as well but not the same .011 off. before I calibrated I used the default calibration which also fluctuated between .998 and 1.000 in water when I tested it, on another beer and it was reading too low there as well. I will try the multipoint calibration. I want to get 3 more of these for the brewpub but not if they are going to be so off.
have you tried contacting tilt? maybe you got a dud

Mine is kind of consistently 5-6 points off low. But I haven't calibrated it. I just track fermentation progress and temperature behavior.

Have you checked the tilt for funk sticking to it? My last batch was 3 points off due to some build up, I removed, cleaned and sanitized it then put it back in before bottling and it went up 3 points

Hate to revive a year old thread, but to answer the question I have not seen where the floating dip tube interferes with the Tilt.

Here's my IPA that I think finally bottomed out today. I now know that hops contain enzymes so I waited a lot of extra days after dry hopping to ensure gravity is totally steady before bottling.

Also.... wort stratification is very real! When topping up the fermenter with water after the boil, simple swirling will NOT blend the water and wort together. Fortunately, yeast activity mixes it up really well after about 16 hours. :)

View attachment 618228
Also kind of wondering why this guy takes his shirt off to dry hop (view attachment)? Is it a Greek wrestling match to get the hops in there or what?

Back