Tile For Brew Stand Surface?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneInTheHand

Reaction score
I have enough spare tile, backer, and thinset from previous projects that I could use it as a surface for my project, 2’x5’. But I’m thinking it would suck heat out of the kettle and make glass carboys, stir flasks, and general glassware more prone to breaking. Anybody use tile and love it? Leaning towards poly on good plywood or used oak flooring that already had poly on it. This is for an inside electric brew setup.

I doubt tile (with it's comparatively irregular surface) would be anywhere near as big a heat-suck factor as a stainless steel deck yet the latter is pretty darned popular among the e-brewing set. If it was still a concern a wire trivet would make that a moot issue.

Poly might stand up to prolonged, direct contact with an e-kettle, but even the best are rated only to 250°F. I'd be worry about it getting sticky and even transferring to the kettle bottom...

Cheers!

Back