TH's EZ Water Calc. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpl

Reaction score
So I've decided to take a dip into the world of water adjustment. I plugged my water report into the spreadsheet along with my recipe, cut my water 50:50 with RO water and adjusted the additives to pretty much hit the middle of the recommended ranges. The spreadsheet indicates that I should add 2 g gypsum and 3 g CaCl2 to my mash water and 1.5g gypsum and 2.3g CaCl2 to my sparge water. Additionally, I added 4 ml of lactic acid to lower the ph. My questions are as follows:

1) Do I add the lactic acid to the mash water only?
2) What about my mash out water? Should I mix up all the water that goes into the mash and then measure out the appropriate volumes? If so, I'm not getting all the additives in the initial mash.
3) Likewise, what if I do a multi-step mash? When would the additives go in?

I also need to echo what many others have said about TH's spreadsheet: It is a wonderful tool that is phenominally easy to use. Thanks for taking the time to do this!!

I think that mashout water can be counted as sparge and water to achieve temperatures in multi-step as mash water.

Back