Thrown together maple wine- calculations correct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
So... I had a major fridge/cabinet cleaning day last week. I had several mostly full bottles of pure maple syrup (Grade A Amber), and decided to throw it together with some champagne yeast (Pasteur from Red Star), for giggles.

12/31/14

Here's what I wound up with.

1 gallon

37.5 oz Grade A Amber Maple syrup from several different bottles
1/2 teaspoon nutrient
Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

Its bubbling like crazy, but the questions are... are my calcs right that this will ferment to about 6%? Also... is this going to taste like crap?

So... I had a major fridge/cabinet cleaning day last week. I had several mostly full bottles of pure maple syrup (Grade A Amber), and decided to throw it together with some champagne yeast (Pasteur from Red Star), for giggles.

12/31/14

Here's what I wound up with.

1 gallon

37.5 oz Grade A Amber Maple syrup from several different bottles
1/2 teaspoon nutrient
Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

Its bubbling like crazy, but the questions are... are my calcs right that this will ferment to about 6%? Also... is this going to taste like crap?

Looks like sugars should be about 627 grams in 37.5oz. Maple syrup is pretty much all sucrose and a tiny amount of invert from the sap-boiling process.

So ... 627 grams with a gallon final total volume should be around 8.47% ... I'd think the flavor would be at least not bad ... but I wonder if it would not seem a bit insipid with little or no acid; so I'd add at least some citrus peel.

Mead made partially with maple syrup is "acerglyn" or "acermead".
A recipe and a bit about it ...
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/Acerglyn-Maple-Syrup-Roots-Mead-Winemaking-Talk.html

Back