Through-wall Taps and Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp4684

Novice
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my build. It's inspired by this guy's build. I'm not too worried about the appearance of the keezer itself, since it's hidden in my utility room (soon to be home of my electric brewery). The goal is have four Perlick 690SS taps. Cold air will be circulated using a fan in the tap box.

And the business side, with a place holder photoshopped in until I get the taps and drip tray.

Looks awesome! I can't wait to see the finished project. I love the color of your wall. It goes well with the wood stain.

One suggestion that I might make (through experience, unfortunately), is that carpet under a tap system is not a good idea. It's not a matter of if beer will be spilled, but when. If you could put down some tile, that would be ideal, but even a mat or something would help save the carpet. Otherwise, you're looking at spills, and then cleaning spills. And porters and stouts are tough to clean up...

I'm working on doing the same thing for my bar. You're further ahead than I am on your keezer, though. I used the same thread you linked as my inspiration too!

I plan to put this drip tray up, when I put up the shanks.

The rest of the room looks like this:

You'll love that drip tray. I've got the same one, but with 8 taps. It's very solidly built and beautiful.

I'd still put something down to save your carpet. My experience has been even with a drip tray, beer gets spilled... But maybe I'm just sloppy! :mug:

Your man cave (or whatever you want to call it) is awesome! The tap system will be a great addition.

I took last week off to stay home with my kids for Spring Break, so I have a lot of time for home projects. I was finally able to get the rest of the parts for my build. It's functional now, but not quite finished.

4 Perlick 690SS taps. Got a really good price on these from beverage factory.

I've had some scrap VW car parts sitting in my garage for quite some time. Aluminum pistons and hollow cam shafts. These allowed me to make some really cool tap handles that don't weigh too much. Once I'm finished cleaning them up and making any tweaks, I'll paint the piston faces with blackboard paint. This will allow me to write the name of the beer currently on that tap, on the tap handle.

Finally, I was able to get the shanks and associated parts. I was also able to get the drip tray.

I have to tweak the tap handles this weekend. The back of the piston has to be trimmed to allow for the push back creamer function on the taps. They also need to be thoroughly cleaned and the piston faces painted with blackboard paint.

I plumbed all of the taps, and have beer on 3 of them. After letting it all sit for 24-hours, I did a function check to see if the fan in the tap box was circulating enough cooled air to keep the CO2 in solution. So, I pulled a pint last night and had a gloriously foam free first pull. I'll take some pictures of the back side setup and post them with the cleaned up and installed tap handles, later this weekend.

Just saw this, great to see my design being used again. You did a great job! Looks beautiful.

Back