American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys leave your dry-hop hops in your secondary during cold crash? Guess there's not really any way to remove them if using pellet hops, but I'm wondering if this effectively extends the dry-hop time, or if the cold temps prevent much hop utilization from happening during cold crash.

Do you guys leave your dry-hop hops in your secondary during cold crash? Guess there's not really any way to remove them if using pellet hops, but I'm wondering if this effectively extends the dry-hop time, or if the cold temps prevent much hop utilization from happening during cold crash.

Yes, but i dryhop for 3 days, plus a 2 day cold crash, so it works out to 5 days total.

If I want to end up with 5 gallons in the fermenter, should I follow the recipe in the original post for 6 gallons, or the recipe in the second post that's scaled down to 5 gallons? I'm unclear on whether each recipe specifies the volume into the fermenter, or the volume before trub/hops loss.

Also, what is the boil volume for the 6 gallon recipe in the original post?

Much thanks.

Recently brewed the 6 gallon recipe. Ended up with 8 gallons pre-boil, 6.25 gallons in the fermenter, and 5 gallons packaged. There was a little over a gallon of trub in the bottom of my carboy.

Thanks Garmoni. My largest fermenter is a 5.9 gallon glass carboy, so I think I'll try the second recipe posted for the 5 gallon batch size. Might try to scale this up to 8 or 9 gallons if I'm successful with the 5 gallon attempt.

I plugged the 5 gallon recipe into Brewer's Friend, and I'm getting 79.19 IBU, which seems high compared to the 65.9 in the OP. It's not the FWH that's throwing it off the most, either. I'm just going to try it and see how it turns out, I'm sure it will be great. Just thought that was interesting.

Brewed this yesterday with whole leaf hops. This was my first brew, and it went pretty well all things considered. OG was only 1.0543 at the end of boil after letting a covered sample cool, and 1.0526 in the fermenter. I did BIAB, and I think I need a finer crush to improve efficiency. Started with 7.34 gallons and ended up with ~4.5-4.75 into the fermenter. I think I'll try this one again in a few weeks, shoot for a finer crush, and bump up my starting water quantity by .25-.5 gallons.

Just cracked one of the first bottles from this batch. Sadly, oxygen had taken most of my hop aroma so that is the biggest downside here, but that was due to fermentation equipment and not something I caused myself which is nice. Some people will question the clarity in an APA but I am supremely anal about clarity. It's an interesting brew. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. It's super smooth and well balanced but the Citra clashed with Conan and so you end up with fruit but not necessarily specifically citrus or stone fruit. It's more muddled. Next time I will use s-04 or us-05. Either way, happy with the OVERALL results, just not 100% on the flavour profile yet.

jR5bfCa.jpg

OG was only 1.0543 at the end of boil after letting a covered sample cool, and 1.0526 in the fermenter. I did BIAB, and I think I need a finer crush to improve efficiencY.

I'm switching to AG from extract and currently amassing knowledge and equipment and have a question, if you don't mind. Isn't it just expected that this recipe in a BIAB wouldn't reach target OG due to the lower efficiency of BIAB vs. proper mashing and sparging? It seems a relatively simple adjustment for increased grain bill for the BIAB vs full mash, and this recipe was set up (at least I had assumed) for normal mashing/sparging... No?

I'm just trying to get all this straight in my head for when I actually start my AG brewing.

Thanks!

I'm switching to AG from extract and currently amassing knowledge and equipment and have a question, if you don't mind. Isn't it just expected that this recipe in a BIAB wouldn't reach target OG due to the lower efficiency of BIAB vs. proper mashing and sparging? It seems a relatively simple adjustment for increased grain bill for the BIAB vs full mash, and this recipe was set up (at least I had assumed) for normal mashing/sparging... No?

I'm just trying to get all this straight in my head for when I actually start my AG brewing.

Thanks!

Depends on whether you're talking about MIAB or true BIAB. Some use the terms interchangeably. Mashing in a bag has the same absorption as BIAB but better efficiency.

Just cracked one of the first bottles from this batch. Sadly, oxygen had taken most of my hop aroma so that is the biggest downside here, but that was due to fermentation equipment and not something I caused myself which is nice. Some people will question the clarity in an APA but I am supremely anal about clarity. It's an interesting brew. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. It's super smooth and well balanced but the Citra clashed with Conan and so you end up with fruit but not necessarily specifically citrus or stone fruit. It's more muddled. Next time I will use s-04 or us-05. Either way, happy with the OVERALL results, just not 100% on the flavour profile yet.

jR5bfCa.jpg

Very nice clarity! Interesting note on the Conan observations. What brand did you use? I brewed a slightly modified malt bill version of this to bring the ABV down to about 5%, used a Conan strain (Yeast Geek YG-001, company's now defunct), and pulled a silver at this year's NHC in the APA category. I think the Conan went amazingly well with the Citra and will keep using it, but will also try some English strains as well, just to do side-by-sides to better see the impact from the yeast.

Thanks!

I don't think there is any inherent efficiency loss in BIAB. Many people routinely get efficiency in the 80's. Since the bag is a pretty effective screen, you can crush much finer with BIAB than you would in a traditional three-vessel system. In my case, the mill at my LHBS was worn out so even running the grain through three times, I didn't end up with a very fine crush and that's what hurt my final efficiency. I wouldn't call either BIAB or three-vessel brewing the 'proper' way of doing things, just different ways of accomplishing the same goal.

I don't think there is any inherent efficiency loss in BIAB. Many people routinely get efficiency in the 80's. Since the bag is a pretty effective screen, you can crush much finer with BIAB than you would in a traditional three-vessel system. In my case, the mill at my LHBS was worn out so even running the grain through three times, I didn't end up with a very fine crush and that's what hurt my final efficiency. I wouldn't call either BIAB or three-vessel brewing the 'proper' way of doing things, just different ways of accomplishing the same goal.

I didn't mean to offend, I just meant proper as in "by definition" not as in, "how it should be done". I've never heard of this MIAB, so obviously I've got a lot more reading to do! Hahaha

I didn't think about crushing finer due to the effective filtering of the bag... learnin', learnin', learnin'!!!

I just figured that since I hadn't read of people sparging or even batch mashing that you just left some sugar behind.

I was considering doing two pass BIAB, half and half of my pre-boil volume, if you will.

Thanks a lot for the info! I already bought a bag from my LHBS and found most of my lift rigging equipment on sale at Lowe's. I bought everything to covert a 10G Gott for Mashing. Everything was cheap enough that I'm just going to try it all and see what I like.

I love tackling new stuff and learning.

FOR SCIENCE! :)

Sorry to jump back in here but all I meant was mashing in a BIAB bag instead of using a false bottom or similar. If you crush finer you get more extraction and better efficiency.

I was considering doing two pass BIAB, half and half of my pre-boil volume, if you will.

Thanks a lot for the info! I already bought a bag from my LHBS and found most of my lift rigging equipment on sale at Lowe's. I bought everything to covert a 10G Gott for Mashing. Everything was cheap enough that I'm just going to try it all and see what I like.

I love tackling new stuff and learning.

FOR SCIENCE! :)

I do what I would consider to be a 'dunk' sparge. I have a 5 gal. kettle that I fill about half way and heat it to around 170F while I am doing the mashout in my 8 gal. kettle. Once I'm done with my mashout, I drain the bag and then 'dunk' it in the 5 gal kettle for about 15-20 minutes. I then drain the bag again and this gets me to my ideal pre-boil volume. I've been doing this since my 2nd batch of BIAB and that was 4 years ago and it's been working like a charm for me... :mug:

I didn't mean to offend, I just meant proper as in "by definition" not as in, "how it should be done". I've never heard of this MIAB, so obviously I've got a lot more reading to do! Hahaha

No offense taken! I'm just starting out, having brewed this Zombie Dust recipe as my first attempt. I went back and forth on the three-vessel system vs BIAB and ended up on BIAB. First attempt is smelling good :D

I can't wait to brew it again. I'm debating taking some Citra and making an extract and trying to put a candle together. Hahaha My wife hated having the bedroom so cold (didn't have my fermentation chamber the first time, but had a bedroom window A/C unit! Hahaha) but every time I walked in the bedroom... Citra Citra everywhere! It smelled amazing!

I brewed this yesterday in my new grainfather. My numbers came out pretty well. It's been a while since I've done this recipe and used SafAle S-04 for the first time. Pitched at 4pm and woke up this morning to vigorous fermentation and mess around the airlock. I abandoned the airlock and used a sterilized tube straight out of air lock hole to growler 1/2 full of starsan. I don't believe I got this much action using the smack packs of WYeast.

I just tried the real ZD for the 1st time last week. Was able to get 5 bottles in a trade. It's super good as the hype suggested. I've saved a bottle for a side by side comparison when this brew is done. I really like the grainfather after this 1st brew. Think I'll make another batch of the ZD, this one will go fast! ;)

I brewed this yesterday in my new grainfather. My numbers came out pretty well. It's been a while since I've done this recipe and used SafAle S-04 for the first time. Pitched at 4pm and woke up this morning to vigorous fermentation and mess around the airlock. I abandoned the airlock and used a sterilized tube straight out of air lock hole to growler 1/2 full of starsan. I don't believe I got this much action using the smack packs of WYeast.

I just tried the real ZD for the 1st time last week. Was able to get 5 bottles in a trade. It's super good as the hype suggested. I've saved a bottle for a side by side comparison when this brew is done. I really like the grainfather after this 1st brew. Think I'll make another batch of the ZD, this one will go fast! ;)

SO my 10Gallons batch was ready for dry hop yesterday (after letting in in primary for 6 weeks.... I felt lazy lol)
I was able to hit my OG AND FG right on the spot (75% efficiency) and even without Dryhop nor carbonation, that beer tastes AMAZING!

Love the color, so glad I brewed 10G!

I made this beer 2 weeks ago. Dry hoped with 3 oz of Citra. The only thing different about mine is I used carared in-place of carafoam. I didnt check to see what was in the box of Carafoam and just pulled one. When I looked over everything when I got home I saw it was carared.

OG was 17 Brix

This went into the keg on 8/19 and FG was 7.75 Brix making it 7.97% ABV. I use BeerSmith and I hit all numbers but FG. Looks like my yeast wanted to work.

The smell of this beer was awesome when I was moving this into the keg. Taste was awesome too. Thanks for the recipe.

Here is the Brew day Video if anyone wants to check it out.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WlVfbJoOk[/ame]

I will have the tasting review out soon.

I wonder how Zombie Dust compares to Deschutes Armory XPA. Brewed with Citra, 5.9% ABV, 55 IBUs. I'm just curious because I've never had real Zombie Dust, but I'm drinking the Armory XPA right now and it's pretty good.

I wonder how Zombie Dust compares to Deschutes Armory XPA. Brewed with Citra, 5.9% ABV, 55 IBUs. I'm just curious because I've never had real Zombie Dust, but I'm drinking the Armory XPA right now and it's pretty good.

I have not had the real Zombie Dust, but to me Armory XPA is more piney than citrus. Tasting my Zombie Dust Clone going into the keg I was getting more citrus with a hint of pine. I have some friends that love the real Zombie Dust and I will have them try this and let me know how close it is to the real thing. The only draw back I have right now is the ABV of mine. Im at almost 8% and the real one is at 6.2%

I have not had the real Zombie Dust, but to me Armory XPA is more piney than citrus. Tasting my Zombie Dust Clone going into the keg I was getting more citrus with a hint of pine. I have some friends that love the real Zombie Dust and I will have them try this and let me know how close it is to the real thing. The only draw back I have right now is the ABV of mine. Im at almost 8% and the real one is at 6.2%

Yeah, it's definitely no straight Citra. I was under the impression they only used Citra from reading the label, but there are four other types of hops in there too. Pretty cool that Deschutes provides homebrew recipes for their beers :mug:

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/armory-xpa/#homebrew

I'm saving 2 for when my clone is ready. It took me 3 years but finally got hold of some fresh bottles.

Clone will be ready in 2 weeks.

image.jpg

I've had the real deal thanks to a friend who lives near the brewery and I've made this clone and their so close rather than hunt down the real thing I'm totally fine brewing this clone. Just saying, this clone is that spot on.

I've had the real deal thanks to a friend who lives near the brewery and I've made this clone and their so close rather than hunt down the real thing I'm totally fine brewing this clone. Just saying, this clone is that spot on.

Gotta agree! I brewed this and put it into a ZD bottle and took it to a bottle share with some notoriously well educated palates. Many folks thought it was better than ever and wanted to know how fresh the beer was. Did you get it yesterday because this is sooo damn good. Pretty impressed when I confessed that this was a homebrew. Excellent recipe! A staple at my house!

This is the best beer I've brewed so far... great!
Has anyone done it using Nottingham?

I am new to this forum and to home brewing in general. Over the past few weeks I have been doing a ton of research on the process of brewing and really thinking about making the investment but I have never had a home brewed beer so just wondering if anyone would be interested in trading their home brewed IPA for something I can access here in North Carolina.

I am new to this forum and to home brewing in general. Over the past few weeks I have been doing a ton of research on the process of brewing and really thinking about making the investment but I have never had a home brewed beer so just wondering if anyone would be interested in trading their home brewed IPA for something I can access here in North Carolina.

What styles do you like

IPAs , I've had most of the hyped stuff.... just want to see how these compare .

I have a "NE Style IPA" on tap now, similar to stuff like Trillium/Tree House/etc. Its probably 6-7 weeks old since brew day and not sure how much is left in the keg, but I could probably fill a bottle of it and a couple other things I have on tap.

It is better than any IPA you are going to buy in NC :)

edit to add I haven't had anything from Heist yet, but heard they are good, so that could be an exception.

Latest posts

Back