American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferm temp of 68 is that yeasts highest recommended temp although it's a slim range of 65-68. I typically like to peg my ferm chamber at 64ish for this brew regardless of yeast. So that coulda been a factor. I also always use RO water and build up my own water profile using Brun water calculator. So that could also be a factor in off flavors. Nonetheless ITS HOME BREW! Cheers

Looking for some advice on this brew. I am new to brewing and brewed this as my first AG batch. Used WLP002 and fermented at 68*. Did a small FWH and the rest were large flameout and hop stands at 170.

To me, the beer sort of tastes like citrus flavored flinstone vitamins, or maybe lemon lime emergen-c? My friends are saying it doesn't taste "bad" but no one is that stoked on it. I know my description is kind of vague, but let me know if there is an obvious cause of this vitamin c taste I'm getting. Thanks!

Was 68F the ambient temperature of the room or was it the temperature of the beer? Regardless, 68 is on the upper end of the spectrum and higher than I would use for an English yeast. Probably esters.

It was beer temp. The package said 65-70 range on it so that's why I went with 68. I guess I'll have to tlferment cooler and see what happens. Thanks guys

Pm version, hit 1.012 preboil after sparging up to 6gal boil volume. Good or bad? Do I need to adjust my 6lb DME?

What's life without its challenges? My big helper spilled DME (1/4 cup not much) on the stove and he also missed the hop bag once lol. Neither are serious, used the heat and water to clean DME quickly and the hop pellet sediment should settle out. Solid memories and notes though. Finished at 1.063 with 5.5gal into fermenter so overall I'm pleased. Will report back in a week with results of primary.

Edit: temp correct reading 1.064 so darn close!

Looking for some advice on this brew. I am new to brewing and brewed this as my first AG batch. Used WLP002 and fermented at 68*. Did a small FWH and the rest were large flameout and hop stands at 170.

To me, the beer sort of tastes like citrus flavored flinstone vitamins, or maybe lemon lime emergen-c? My friends are saying it doesn't taste "bad" but no one is that stoked on it. I know my description is kind of vague, but let me know if there is an obvious cause of this vitamin c taste I'm getting. Thanks!

So just to be clear, you put NO hops in the boil between FWH and flameout? So in effect, you have a few IBUs from the FWH (you didn't say how much small was) and maybe a few from flameout. I'm thinking that's your problem. Virtually no IBUs. Just intense hop flavors and aromas. Alcoholic
citra kool-aid.

If you use like 3/4 oz of Columbus or similar FWH. Then all at direct flameout you will get smooth bitterness. It will be there.

Yeah that's what I did. After reading through this thread and some others, it seems like a lot of people are doing in-your-face hoppy beers like that now. I brewed up another batch and added a 15 minute addition to get some more IBUs, so we will see how that turns out.

Had healthy activity in airlock yesterday but by no means violent like some have reported. Swamp cooler still at 63F. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled my airlock hasn't rocketed through the air nor Kraussen exited through it. Just curious why some are so violent and some so normal.

Yeah that's what I did. After reading through this thread and some others, it seems like a lot of people are doing in-your-face hoppy beers like that now. I brewed up another batch and added a 15 minute addition to get some more IBUs, so we will see how that turns out.

Yeah, usually best to follow the recipe as written first. It's popular for a reason. Then modify based upon what you are missing.

Also, how long have you had this in the keg? I've found the the flavors really blend at about 2 to 3 weeks in the keg. Before that, they are there, but kind of stand alone and in your face, if that makes sense.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454461698.795182.jpg
Well here's the final product fellas. Funktown Pale Ale Yeast on the left and DIPA on the right. Two very unique different tastes but bothe very good IPA's. DIPA is peachy and much smoother. Funk has a bit more bitter bite and an orangey lomeny limey flavor to it. Very fun experiment with this recipe and these yeasts that turned out some solid brews. Still would say I prefer the Wyeast 1968 yeast the best but nonetheless....HOMEBREW!!! Time to enjoy these 10 gallons from the tap for the next month or so!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454462352.347803.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454462388.000273.jpg

Gravity check today was 1.016 (10 days). Considering how off I was on the OG (1.076) I think the yeast did good. Had a lot of krausen, had to clear some away to dry hop. According to Brewers Friend, attenuation is 78.9% and ABV at 7.88%. ABV is way off too. Crap this might be a hard beer to drink.
Fermented this at 65-67 degrees. Gonna let it rise a few degrees to finish up, cold crash add gelatin and plan to bottle on Monday or Tuesday.

View attachment 334870
Well here's the final product fellas. Funktown Pale Ale Yeast on the left and DIPA on the right. Two very unique different tastes but bothe very good IPA's. DIPA is peachy and much smoother. Funk has a bit more bitter bite and an orangey lomeny limey flavor to it. Very fun experiment with this recipe and these yeasts that turned out some solid brews. Still would say I prefer the Wyeast 1968 yeast the best but nonetheless....HOMEBREW!!! Time to enjoy these 10 gallons from the tap for the next month or so!
View attachment 334875
View attachment 334876

OK, I'll bite. What the heck is DIPA yeast? Don't think I've ever heard of it.

Where ya from? I gotta half gallon of healthy 3rd generation slurry of it ready to devour a batch. I can ship ya a jar full for a trade if ur interested. PM me if u are.

View attachment 334957
I thinks It's fair to say it's a replica of what Heady Topper uses. "Vermont Strain" it's a fantastic yeast. As per the description it's a peach bomb and using Citra and Mosaic hops so far with this yeast creates one hell of a brew.

Good to hear. I've got 2 packs of this yeast in my fridge from a December buy and a 1lb of Citra, all going in at flameout. Really looking forward to it. Might even have to do it this weekend.

72hrs in roughly and S-04 has quieted down, No airlock activity. Temp has dropped from 63-64 to 62. I went ahead and pulled from my swamp cooler to raise tele temp, ambient there is 66f. I don't have anything ready to test so I am winging it. Leave it at 66f for 4 more days and test then dry hop?

72hrs in roughly and S-04 has quieted down, No airlock activity. Temp has dropped from 63-64 to 62. I went ahead and pulled from my swamp cooler to raise tele temp, ambient there is 66f. I don't have anything ready to test so I am winging it. Leave it at 66f for 4 more days and test then dry hop?

I would hold at 65-66 for 10 days then dry hop and raise temps to finish. That's my opinion.
I brewed this on 1/23. it was only a 2 gallon batch. First time using S-04 and it was a beast. A lot of krausen and had to use a blow off tube. I was way over on OG (1.078) but the yeast knocked it down to 1.016. I just dry hopped yesterday and raised the temp to 68 and will let it rise to 70 and finish. May bottle on Wednesday as I want to add gelatin on Monday and let it sit for two days before bottling. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

I just did this with US04...knocked it from 1.065 to 1.01 in about 4 days. I've just left it at 64 ambient.

Dry hopped today, about 11 days in. Will probably keg in another 5 days. Not even going to bother with moving the temps up. Is there any advantage of raising it to 70* at this point?

I just did this with US04...knocked it from 1.065 to 1.01 in about 4 days. I've just left it at 64 ambient.

Dry hopped today, about 11 days in. Will probably keg in another 5 days. Not even going to bother with moving the temps up. Is there any advantage of raising it to 70* at this point?

Diacetal rest.

At this point no I don't think so. Keep in mind your internal temperature during first few days can be 7-8f warmer than ambient. I've had some off taste in my last few beers (5-6 total) that I can point with good certainty to warmer than desired fermentation temps. That said its my understanding the yeast get sleepy if too cold and can slow/halt fermentation. As I'm still fairly new to this, I will defer any further comments to someone more knowledgable.

Why wait? Krausen has dropped. Dry hop it now, let it warm up to rrom temp, and in 3-5 days package it up! The beer doesn't have to be completely done before you dry hop.

04 is a beast. It's almost finished.

No.

Why not just dry hop in the keg and move things along faster? Keep the keg at room temp for 3-5 days, then pop it in the kegerator/keezer. As long as the keg is cold, you won't get any off flavors from the hops being in there until the keg is kicked.

Simplify your process and make life easier!

No.

Why not just dry hop in the keg and move things along faster? Keep the keg at room temp for 3-5 days, then pop it in the kegerator/keezer. As long as the keg is cold, you won't get any off flavors from the hops being in there until the keg is kicked.

Simplify your process and make life easier!

May try that next time. Already dumped them into fermenter. I typically cold crash prior to kegging.

Rest for an ale is just a few days longer on the yeast past finish of fermentation yes? As long as the temp hasn't dropped too low making his yeast dormant they should clean it up. Or am I missing something?

I guess you can do whatever works for you, but whenever I use English strains I always raise the temp since they seem to have more issues with diacetal.

Does anyone here have access to the real Zombie Dust? Planning to brew this in a few weeks and would love to trade or set something up with someone to be able to compare our batch to the real thing.

I've had PseudoSue, but never Zombie Dust. Grew up in Indiana but haven't been back in about 10 years! PM me if you could help out.

I guess you can do whatever works for you, but whenever I use English strains I always raise the temp since they seem to have more issues with diacetal.

I agree. All I was saying was his fermentation temp was already on the high side. I don't think after 11 days at 70f, raising his would make any difference. I think. I'm tired.

I brewed this today. 2.5 gallon batch. I believe the numbers look good.

4 lb 14 oz Rahr Pale 2 row
8 oz Light Munich (10L)
3.3 oz Carafoam
3.3 oz Caramel Crystal (60L)
3.3 oz Melanoiden
pinch of Irish Moss
3 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Hop schedule
FWH 8g
15 min 14g
10 min 14g
05 min 14g
01 min 14g
Dry hop 5 days with 1.25 oz

Safale S-04 (rehydrated)

Mashed @152 for 65 minutes with 3 gallons of Spring water and washed the grains with one gallon of 168 degree water then squeezed the bag like it owed me money.

Some numbers:
Pre boil gravity 1.050
Original Gravity 1.064
Mash Efficiency 86.9%
Measured Efficiency 74.2%

Fermentation chamber is set for 64 degrees. I suspect that it will be beer in a few days.

Just checked, assumed final is 1.013. Tossed in the dry hop and will check gravity again when I pull it out. Seems I have a 6.6-6.8abv beer that smells awesome. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm curious...is everyone using this as their IPA grain bill for everything they do?

I'm curious...is everyone using this as their IPA grain bill for everything they do?

So funny story. Went to make this beer per the OP recipe. SWMBO put my online order in the fridge while I was at work. Long story short after mashing in realized I was only sent an oz instead of the lb of citra hops I ordered. Had to scramble to make some sort of pale or IPA with the hops I had on hand. Went with an oz of magnum FWH, 1 oz columbus @ 15, 1 oz cascade at 10, 1 oz whole leaf cascade @ 5, 1 oz columbus/ .5 cascade hopstand. Ended up dry hopping with 2 oz of citra after I emailed and got my order corrected and it showed up. Beer turned out great for being a last minute throw old hops together fiasco. Needless to say I'm sold on the grain bill. Wont go as far as saying I will use it for everything but will definitely repeat

So funny story. Went to make this beer per the OP recipe. SWMBO put my online order in the fridge while I was at work. Long story short after mashing in realized I was only sent an oz instead of the lb of citra hops I ordered. Had to scramble to make some sort of pale or IPA with the hops I had on hand. Went with an oz of magnum FWH, 1 oz columbus @ 15, 1 oz cascade at 10, 1 oz whole leaf cascade @ 5, 1 oz columbus/ .5 cascade hopstand. Ended up dry hopping with 2 oz of citra after I emailed and got my order corrected and it showed up. Beer turned out great for being a last minute throw old hops together fiasco. Needless to say I'm sold on the grain bill. Wont go as far as saying I will use it for everything but will definitely repeat

Haha.....I don't know...it seems to be great mix of sweet and hops. 1968 seems to be the key though, for me.

I agree with the above, the grain bill is solid. I have done it 8 times with different hop combos. I recently did a mod that really came out amazing. Replaced some 2row with wheat. Added oats and went with a C30/c120 combo. It produces a hazier product, but damn it is good.

I also moved most hops to a hop stand.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/993079/simco-azacca

Assuming kegging....when is your ideal time to drink this?

I've made it a couple times now. I rushed my last one to keg after about 15 days in primary, as I was short of beer. It's pretty harsh, and the hop acid gives me heartburn., I've noticed in the past it takes at least 25 days to be really good, and gets better about week 5.

Brewing the original all-grain recipe tomorrow as my third brew ever. As I don't want to waste the precious hops, I want to make sure I get the hop schedule right:

0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

Sorry for asking a question that has probably already been answered 10 times, but I just want to get it right.

Brewing the original all-grain recipe tomorrow as my third brew ever. As I don't want to waste the precious hops, I want to make sure I get the hop schedule right:

3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

Sorry for asking a question that has probably already been answered 10 times, but I just want to get it right.

Is that different from the first post? Looks ok to me

As long as the hops get in there, they won't be wasted! Looks good. Honestly with this many hops you can't really mess up.

Back