Thoughts on this recipe? Sierra Nevada old chico

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Rebel_Grizzly

Reaction score
So, I'm gunna be brewing beer for my wedding and Sierra Nevada old chico is one of the beers that the groomsmen want. I really couldn't find much on this recipe so I added a bunch of similar recipies together with the info I was able to get off Sierra Nevada web site and came up with this.

Sierra Nevada old chico
7.25# wheat malt
4# pale 2-row
3.5# DME
.5 oz Perle hop @60 min
.5oz Chrystal hop @10 min
Whorfloc @10 min
Wyeast American ale
Mash @150° for 60 mins
6 gallon batch

Let me know what u all think. Any tweaks are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks!

My suggestion would be to brew a tried and true recipe if you're brewing it for an important event such as a wedding. An important event isn't a great time for experimenting IMO.

Of course, the even better option is to do a double brew day and brew a backup tried and true recipe and this one... This way if it sucks, you've got backup!

My suggestion would be to brew a tried and true recipe if you're brewing it for an important event such as a wedding. An important event isn't a great time for experimenting IMO.

Of course, the even better option is to do a double brew day and brew a backup tried and true recipe and this one... This way if it sucks, you've got backup!

This is only 1 of 4 beers I'm brewing, all of which none are tried and true brews. I really haven't had a brew I haven't liked. The recipe above is everything I can find in other recipes and what Sierra Nevada has to offer.
Regardless, I'm going to brew the beer, I was asking if anyone would tweak or change anything.

You might struggle with the mash. Maybe less wheat malt and just get close rather than cloning? Looks fairly balanced.

This is only 1 of 4 beers I'm brewing, all of which none are tried and true brews. I really haven't had a brew I haven't liked. The recipe above is everything I can find in other recipes and what Sierra Nevada has to offer.
Regardless, I'm going to brew the beer, I was asking if anyone would tweak or change anything.

Fair enough!

The recipe looks pretty good... Though with that much wheat, I'd suggest adding rice hulls to the mash for an easier time with sparging. Either that, or getting rid of the DME and replacing with an equivalent amount of 2 row.

I would try to add more 2 row and less DME just to help with the lautering. I've also found that a 10-20 min ~122* protein rest lets me use less rice hulls for a good run off. I like the hops combo and use it in my Kolsch style beers, don't know about a Chico type. The Wyeast 1217 is a good yeast with a 50% or more wheat grist. But than you couldn't call it a Chico.

I would try to add more 2 row and less DME just to help with the lautering. I've also found that a 10-20 min ~122* protein rest lets me use less rice hulls for a good run off. I like the hops combo and use it in my Kolsch style beers, don't know about a Chico type. The Wyeast 1217 is a good yeast with a 50% or more wheat grist. But than you couldn't call it a Chico.

Good tip! I'll sub out the DME. I'm going with wyeast 1056- chico yeast on this brew.
I've never actually had old chico, my brother is a big fan, its pretty rare to even see it in the bay area. From my understanding, its a unfiltered wheat with ale yeast.

Fair enough!

The recipe looks pretty good... Though with that much wheat, I'd suggest adding rice hulls to the mash for an easier time with sparging. Either that, or getting rid of the DME and replacing with an equivalent amount of 2 row.
I like the idea of getting rid of the DME all together. So will 3.5# DME be 3.5# of 2-row?

I like the idea of getting rid of the DME all together. So will 3.5# DME be 3.5# of 2-row?

I don't do extract, so I've never done the conversion, but I believe they most common conversion is 3:5 ratio of DME: grain. So that would be about 5.8 lbs of 2-row... But it would obviously depend on your efficiency, so I'd wait until others chime in.

Back