Thoughts on this malt bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8gallonalchemy

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on giving this malt bill a go for an IPA sort of deal:

5lb Pale Millet Malt
2lb Buckwheat Malt
5lb Biscuit Rice Malt
3lb Roasted Corn Malt
1lb Roasted Quinoa Malt

Thoughts?

I've recently started doing GF so haven't tried out roasted corn or roasted quinoa malts yet, but I'd be super interested how this turns out if you brew it. I just did an IPA with 50/50 base of pale millet and rice malt plus 1lb each caramillet & biscuit rice that turned out really well.

I've recently started doing GF so haven't tried out roasted corn or roasted quinoa malts yet, but I'd be super interested how this turns out if you brew it. I just did an IPA with 50/50 base of pale millet and rice malt plus 1lb each caramillet & biscuit rice that turned out really well.

It was my first brew, so some mistakes were made. Smells amazing though, I’ll let you know in a couple weeks.

@muddy1015 and @cryptohomebrew: Couldn't resist having a sample after a weeks bottle conditioning.

I IPA'd it with citra and amarillo hops and fermented it with Mangrove Jack's M44. It's very tasty, pretty close to Green's IPA (slightly less flavorful, probably because my brew technique could have been better). Upon doing the math, it's also a couple bucks cheaper than the Green's. The corn and quinoa definitely add some interesting flavors.

I'm still waiting to see if my liver starts hating me since I malted the corn and quinoa myself and I'm paranoid about these sorts of things. Highly recommend y'all give it a go though.

@muddy1015 and @cryptohomebrew: Couldn't resist having a sample after a weeks bottle conditioning.

I IPA'd it with citra and amarillo hops and fermented it with Mangrove Jack's M44. It's very tasty, pretty close to Green's IPA (slightly less flavorful, probably because my brew technique could have been better). Upon doing the math, it's also a couple bucks cheaper than the Green's. The corn and quinoa definitely add some interesting flavors.

I'm still waiting to see if my liver starts hating me since I malted the corn and quinoa myself and I'm paranoid about these sorts of things. Highly recommend y'all give it a go though.

Sounds awesome!

Back