thoughts on smoked porter recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, starting to plan for my next brew, a smoked porter. Just had Stone's Smoked Porter, one of the best beers I've ever had. Not looking for the smoke to be dominant, just a little something in the aroma and a subtle flavor complementing the malt.

Now, I know the Alaskan Smoked Porter is very well regarded (haven't been able to find it yet), and I believe that it used Munich as its base malt. I've also read that Stone used peat-smoked malt. So, what I'm thinking for grain:

5 lbs Munich
3 lbs Pale Ale Malt
1 lb crystal 60L
0.75lb chocolate malt
0.25lb black patent
0.25lb peat smoked malt
0.50lb flaked wheat
2lb DME (pretty much maxing out my mash tun otherwise)

Hops:
0.75oz Chinook (60 minute)
0.50oz Williamette (30 minute)
0.50oz Williamette (15 minute)
0.50ox Williamette (5 minute)

Yeast:
Nottingham Ale Yeast

OG: 1.063 (assuming 70% efficiency)
FG: 1.015
IBUs: 41.1

What do you think? Too many hops additions? Not enough smoked peat? Cut / drop the crystal? Too much/not enough chocolate malt?

Anything else to comment on?

Too much peat-smoked. I'd cut it to 2 oz. or even 1 oz. I use 4 oz. in my barley wine, but that has an ABV of 10% and ages for 2 years before drinking.

You can always make a tea and increase the smoke once fermentation is complete.

The chocolate & crystal are both fine.

I would increase the OG a little bit...or at least add some maltodextrin. Stone's Smoked Porter is a pretty big beer. Also, I say 2oz of peated malt. I used an ounce in my Wheat Doppelbock, and it's barely perceivable...I'll definitely add more next time.

I think the hops level looks good, also. Easing off too much might expose a but too much of the smokiness. Looks like a good recipe.....and I might actually have these ingrediants (except smoked specialties!) hanging around. hmmmm. :D

Fiery Sword said:
I think the hops level looks good, also. Easing off too much might expose a but too much of the smokiness. Looks like a good recipe.....and I might actually have these ingrediants (except smoked specialties!) hanging around. hmmmm. :D

If you're coming up to Brattleboro, this is the one I'm planning on brewing there. If you want to do the same, I'll have enough peat for the both of us.

What purpose does the flaked wheat serve in a porter? I've been planning on making a porter soon, and I think I'm going to have to steal your idea, Birdman. I'm a HUGE fan on Stone's.

I was throwing it in there for head retention purposes. Not enough to affect the flavor profile, just enough to get me some head.

That is, I *think* that's what it will do, correct me if I'm wrong.

the_bird said:
I was throwing it in there for head retention purposes. Not enough to affect the flavor profile, just enough to get me some head.

That is, I *think* that's what it will do, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are better off using malted wheat, rather then the flaked wheat. You will enjoy some additional fermentables. IF you are planning on brewing this in my backyard, I would gladly lend you the 3-6% malted wheat you are looking for to help with head retention. ;)

I have never really seen Munich used as a base malt before, so I would love to try the finished beer.

If you would like I may be able to obtain some smoked maple syrup to add a twist to your beer.

Hmm... that could be interesting. I've used maple syrup in one batch (grade B), but it got completely lost. I was considering adding 3oz of molasses, since I know they were traditionally used in porters, but wanted to keep the flavor profile relatively straightforward. The maple would certainly give it a local character, but it might get lost behind the peat.

Wasn't sure whether I wanted malted wheat or flaked, both seem to work for head retention but yeah, more fermentables are better!

I've got another brew that MAY be available for sampling by early December that used Munich in basically the same proportions. I need to get that racked tonight, it'll certainly be bottled by the time we have our get-together. I'm definately looking for some insight on my brews, so I'll bring along some for sampling.

If I wanted to add a little bit of carapils for some body and head (probably in place of the wheat malt), how much would I use? Half a pound?

the_bird said:
If I wanted to add a little bit of carapils for some body and head (probably in place of the wheat malt), how much would I use? Half a pound?

Yes, a half pound will work.

asfor the peat malt--I'd skip it all-together and use a couple of pounds of rauch malt in place of some of the base malt. I used 5 lbs in my porter and it turned out super--I was even wanting more smokey goodness in it.

Peat smoked malt is a tool of the devil, IMHO.

Is that because the peat is so easy to over-do, or is there some particular flavor charcateristic of the peat that you dislike? I'm liking the idea of being able to use Munich as my primary base malt, for a little bit extra malty goodness, which is another reason I started leaning towards the peat.

Peat smoked is very easy to over-do and many homebrewers seem to use 1/2 lb increments on grains. A very bad idea with peat. A rough rule: 1 OZ peat = 1 LB rauch. It isn't exactly the same flavor, but about the same smokiness.

I love peated malt...you just gotta learn to measure it out in 1/4-oz increments. A professional chef wouldn't measure cayenne by the pound, but he might measure flour by the pound. I don't see why that's so hard to do.

It's why I bought a digital scale...

I'm leaning towards the peat at least in part because of equipment limitations. 5 gallon cooler for a mash tun = 12lbs maximum grain, and I really want to have 5lbs of Munich in there. Add a pound of crystal, another 3/4 chocolate, 1/4 black patent, a 1/2 malted wheat or carapils - not a ton of room for enough raunch. Couple pounds of plain-jane pale ale malt and some DME to get my target gravity.

Now, I've thought about doing an IPA with grain that was hops-smoked (like Dude's hops-smoked chicken) - that'll be down the line at some point.

Back