Thoughts on my HERMS build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horseshoot

Reaction score
Now that I am in the middle of my 4th brew day with my HERMS build, I'd like to share some thoughts.
First, I'll describe the build. It uses 3 15 gallon kegs. One set up as the usual brew keggle. One as an HLT, with a copper HERMS coil in it. The third, I cut the bottom out of, and I drain it with a triclover connector (turned upside down.) The HLT and the Brew Keggle, I heat with two "turkey fryer" type propane stoves. I have the Mash Tun wrapped with Reflextix, and sat upon an old bathroom sink cabinet (to allow bottom draining.) I have two chugger pumps, with a duel on/off switch to control each one. The pumps are mounted to the cabinet. I have a plate chiller, that will soon, also, be mounted to the cabinet. Most everything was purchased from Bobby, except the kegs.
The reason I didn't make a "brew sculpture", is that I brew in the shed at my summer camp/ lake house, during the summer. And I brew at my regular house, the rest of the year. So mobility was important to me.

My thoughts:

1. What in hell took me so long to do this?!?

2. Manual temp control with the HERMS, is not near as difficult as I predicted. True, I cannot simply walk away during the mash. But, it really requires much less adjustment than I predicted.

3. I've not noticed increased clarity, in my beers, with this system. But, to be fair, I have always had pretty clear beers.

4. The ease of moving hot liquids with pumps makes it very much worth the cost.

Future plans:

1. Automated fire control.

2. Learn about and implement water chemistry/ pH control.

Just thought I'd share! Have a great brew day, all!!

I totally agree with you when you say it wasn't as hard to manually control it as you thought it would be. I have a controller with a manual switch operated solenoid valve and a manual switch operated hot surface ignitor that lights the propane. I control it all while watching my temps readings on a PID. I only turn the heat on 4 or 5 times during a mash. It's not automated, but it cost me maybe $100 total for the PID, RTD probe, solenoid, and HSI. A lot less than the fully automated stuff. It has it's disadvantages of course but I like how it turned out. Enjoy your new system! Sounds pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks! I have loads of reading to do, to get automation. Good winter project. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410114866.068475.jpg

I'm building a single tier herms brew system for a friend as his retirement gift after 33years in the Navy. My budget is about $4500 and it can be propane or electric. Trying to decide which is best. Any thoughts?

Rick

I like propane for simplicity and cost. If I had that budget, and I was only brewing in one location) I would have considered electric.
What a great gift!!

I have a rather simple system, but the budget to build mine was under $400. With a $4500 budget, I'm going all out - BCS462 based Controller, Solenoid operated valves for water, wort, and Propane. I'll pre-program the BCS462 with several common brewing approaches.

I've decided to go with Propane, since that makes the system portable; although there is 50amp service right where he plans to brew. Conversion to electric would be simple enough for him to do later, if he so chooses.

Stainless Steel Frame, Tri-Clover fittings for quick disassembly and cleaning. Also, we might go with copper pipes, because I think it looks great when it's all polished.

He had quite a career in the Navy, including in theater. He's been stovew-top brewing for years and usually used my system to brew his beer when he could. But he has moved back to his home town for his last tour in the Navy. (6hrs away)

HERMS.jpg

Hey all -

Ran across this post while digging for manual Herms setups. Nice stuff. Appreciate you sharing. Any thoughts on what I am trying to do would be appreciated. Nothing novel, just trying to figure things out.

Image a - strike water
Image b - recirculating through herms - manual temp control of HLT water
Image c - sparge
Image d - boil

I'm trying to do a manual Herms, one pump setup. Any feedback based on these illustrations? I'm all for keeping it simple and adding complexity later. Would love to add electric and move it indoors but that is a ways off.

Thanks for input, cheers.

keggles1a.jpg

keggles1b.jpg

keggles1c.jpg

keggles1d.jpg

Latest posts

Back