Thoughts on mod to Reno_eNVy's Punkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
I'd like to add more roasty flavors and darken it up a little. Plus up the alcohol and oak it.

Here's the original recipe:
Grain bill
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
2 Large cans (29oz) Libby's pumpkin (no spices added) --- Bake at 350*F for 45-60 minutes (longer if you're at high elevation) let cool before adding to mash

Mash (batch sparge)
Single infusion, Medium body, No mash-out
24QT of 163*F water (step temp of 156)

Boil (60 minutes)
1.00 lb Brown Sugar (60 min)
1oz Hallertaur (4.8%) (60 min)
1.5 Tbs McCormicks Pumpkin Pie Spice (5 min)
1oz Hallertaur (4.8%) (5 min)

I was thinking about adding a pound or half pound of chocolate malt to give it the roasty, chocolaty, coffee, etc flavors. Would just the chocolate malt alone give me that? Basically what and how much? I don't want to over do it.

Might drown out the pumpkin flavors with all that chocolate...

Do you mean the pumpkin spice or actual pumpkin flavor? I've made several pumpkin ales over the past couple years and I don't believe the pumpkin adds anything except body. I am in the camp that believes I could make a "pumpkin ale" without using real pumpkin and as long as I spiced it everyone would believe I used real pumpkin. I've never tasted the pumpkin flavor. I just use the real pumpkin so it's a "real" pumpkin ale. :)

So I guess would the choc malt blow away the pumpkin spice?

I can tell the difference between a beer with pumpkin and a beer with spices only. Either way my guess is that the roasted malts will contract with the pumpkin but YMMV. Dehusked carafa or midnight wheat may be a better option if you wish to darken it up a bit...

Back