Thoughts on IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillz

Reaction score
Looking for suggestion on my ingredients.
My goal is a nice simple summer Ipa. I want to keep my ingredients to minimum. I have brewed the following and is OK. I liked the hops but was lacking something.
I wanted to add something to grains?

Thanks and cheers

7lb Rahr 2-row malt
2lb briess carmael 40l

60 minute boil
Centennial 1oz entire time
Casacade 2oz 30 minutes
Citra 3oz 2oz flame out -1 Dry hop

Safale us-05 ale yeast

i like to use honey malt in my ipa's and sometimes white wheat. as for the hops i would move that 2oz of cascade to 5min instead of 30. depending on what type of hop characteristics your after you could use something like azacca or idaho7 in place of the cascade.

I’m assuming your going for a west coast/American ipa. Here would be my suggestion.

Cut the c40 way back. I’d say the max you would want is 0.5lbs and replace the amount cut with base grain some carapils. I’d also move split the 30 minutes addition to two separate oz additions and move it to 20 & 10. If your comfortable with a hop stand, push the flame out addition back to after knock out and you drop to 170*f and drop the hops in and let it sit at or near that temp for 30 mins.

What I’d do
85% - 2row - 7.5lbs
10% - Carapils - 1 lb
5% - C40 - 0.5lbs

Hops
1 oz centennial @60
1oz cascade @20
1oz cascade @10

Hopstand @170*f 30 mins
2 oz Citra

Dryhop 3 days before packaging
3 oz Citra

How malty do you want it? I like a regular IPA alot, the balanced kind between malt and hops but 2 lb of C40 would be too much for me. I did a beer trying to mimic a local American IPA I love and used 8.5lb 2 row and 1lb C40 and it turned out really nice. Pretty close to what I was going for. I've got one on tap now that's all pale malt(3.5 SRM) and 1 lb of munich. It's also really good.

Also, simple is not bad when it comes to the grain bill. If you want to add something else throw in a little wheat, carapils or carafoam or something. You don't necessarily need to add more just for the sake of it.

On the hops I'm a hophead even on my American IPAs so I'd up the dry hop like dgallo suggested.

Thank you,
Not sure why I went with 2lb c40 on last batch. I just poured a pint and malty is a good word to describe. Less c40 and more hops.
I really appreciate.

Back