Thoughts ....infected ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjam1973

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460143837.070142.jpg

So I brewed my ghost ship clone for the 2nd time and 1 week later it was all fine , left it another day (Ie today), opened the fermenter and saw this, so I kegged minus the top obviously, it all tasted really nice and smelt normal ( same as previous batch)
What are people's thoughts ? Curious to know what it is and if I save the beer

Only thing I did different this time was the fermentation was in the garage with brew belt rather than inside and used mangrove jack M10 rather than us-05
I did open the lid a bit to much as kept checking the temp with probe as it was on the garage and was a lot colder ...

Thoughts ??

P.s that's 55g citra in hop bag for 4 days , again never had a problem doing this before , this is the 1st time I have seen this in about 12 AG brews

might want to take apart that keg and PBW the crap out of it

What would cause it ? Will the fermenter and keg be infected as well now... Can they b clans properly to be used again

Did you sanitize the bag? In the future, just dump the hops in loose. If you've got a keg, I would keg it immediately and get it cold!

View attachment 349524

So I brewed my ghost ship clone for the 2nd time and 1 week later it was all fine , left it another day (Ie today), opened the fermenter and saw this, so I kegged minus the top obviously, it all tasted really nice and smelt normal ( same as previous batch)
What are people's thoughts ? Curious to know what it is and if I save the beer

Only thing I did different this time was the fermentation was in the garage with brew belt rather than inside and used mangrove jack M10 rather than us-05
I did open the lid a bit to much as kept checking the temp with probe as it was on the garage and was a lot colder ...

Thoughts ??

Opening it definitely caused the infection. Either set up your probe so it is constantly in the beer without you having to open anything, or put the bucket in a tub of water and moderate the water temperature instead of directly checking the beer temp.

What would cause it ? Will the fermenter and keg be infected as well now... Can they b clans properly to be used again

You can clean the keg out since it's stainless, replace the O-rings. The fermenter (if it's glass) can be cleaned as well. If it's plastic I'd retire it to some other duty.

Never sanitised the hop bag in the past , done over 25 beers from kits to AG,
The fermenter has been sitting for a few months in the garage , I did sanitise it before use
Why can t plastic keg or fermenter be cleaned and you suggest not using ?
Some one has said that as it tastes nice and don't smell and I kegged it into a rota keg that it will be ok ?
I presume keeping it cold will stop any thing growing , will it carbonate ok

I have read to boil the hop bag before using for dry hop but I would more suspect the repeated probing. Why not use a fermometer strip?

Never sanitised the hop bag in the past , done over 25 beers from kits to AG,

Grain has lactobacillus bacteria on it, so never grind your grain where dust can get on anything (hops, grain bags, fermenter, cooling wort). The dust can travel a long way in the air :) If you buy your muslin bags from a homebrew shop they can have grain dust on them.

I'd suggest getting a reusable nylon bag at least for dry hopping, and boiling before each use: http://amzn.to/22jZdY6

Thanks , I have kegged it into a rota keg and left it in cool place or garage 12/13 deg c ...it seems ok , tastes fine ,,,I'll see how it goes and get some pbw to clean everything before I do another , I will also sanitise the hop bags I have prior to using .

Latest posts

Back