Thoughts and suggestions on first IPA extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jramses

Reaction score
After 6 extracts brews, I want to build my own recipe and see how it goes. I used the recipe builder on this site. so here it is. Let me know if I should add/reduce/scrap certain ingredients. Also, hops used are subject to change. I want to go for something that is both tropical and fruity but also has a little dank bite.

Batch size: 5 gallons
Boil size: 3 gallons
water used: Crystal geyser spring water
Boil time: 60 minutes

Fermentables
7lbs of Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract
1lb of Dry Malt Extract- Wheat
8oz of Dextrose(Probably add it at 60min to dry the beer out)

Specialty Malts
8oz of American Carapils
8oz of Crystal 40
8oz of flaked oats/wheat(50/50 on adding this)
I plan on steeping at around 150-155F for 30 min

Hops
1oz of warrior at 60min
1oz of simcoe at 20min
1oz of azacca at 5min
1oz of Ekuanot at 5min
1oz of simcoe at 5min
1oz of azacca at 0min
1oz of ekuanot at 0min
2oz of azacca and ekuanot for dry hops at 7 days

Yeast:White labs WLP001California Ale

OG according to the site is around 1.066
FG around 1.014
estimated ABV 6.7%
IBUs: 65

I would ditch the C40 and use Vienna unless you want your beer more orange and malty. Consider splitting your Warrior addition to .5oz at different intervals (like 60 and 30).

The Vienna will need to be converted so use 1.5qts per pound of specialty grain for steeping and try to keep that temp around 150. The pH probably won't be ideal.

Add the dextrose at flameout, no need to boil sugar for 60 minutes, it will just cause it to darken since it is a reducing sugar it will under go Maillard reactions.

I have a bit of a bigger take here. I brew a sh$t ton of IPAs so take it that what it's worth.

Why are you adding flaked oats and wheat DME? Are you trying to make something similar to a New England IPA?

If so you need some changes. If not, you still need some changes :)

Can you sub out your LME for DME? That LME will give you a darker beer than if you use DME.

I would cut out carapils entirely. You don't need it. I disagree with the poster about Vienna malt. I understand it but don't agree. I'd keep your 40L and add 20L with it in place of the carapils.

I would cut down the wheat DME to half a pound and add a pound of munich DME.

I find the azacca hop to be pretty boring and bland. If you keep that hop schedule what about subbing out Azacca for Centennial?

Also Citra and Mosaic pair really well with Warrior. You will definitely get that tropical taste you seek.

For dry hopping I can tell you 2oz will go virtually unnoticed. Are you looking for that big woff of hop aroma when you pop your bottle? If so then consider 4oz at bare minimum. There are a few hops this doesn't pertain to like Citra but for the most part it holds true.

Sorry man but I realize I just crashed your whole plan. I get very opinionated with IPAs. Don't be mad :)

I'm kinda going for a hybrid of the two styles. On further research most extracts have a certain % of carapils in there so it makes sense to scrap it. I replaced azacca with denali but Im still debating whether to use mosaic. New to the whole homebrew game but learning as I go! I appreciate the feed back :)

Also I read about adding the extracts at the end of the boil? Thought process behind this?

Also I read about adding the extracts at the end of the boil? Thought process behind this?

Good mention James. Glad you brought it up.

Adding late does a few things. Mostly notably it gives better hop utilization along with a 'lighter' colored beer. Meaning the more you boil extract the darker it gets.

Back