this thing isn't ready is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
So I move my carboy to the countertop to transfer to the keg. When I get it up there bubbles start floating to the top and the airlock bubbles a few times. I was ready to keg it because one of my kegs is empty and the other one is low, and I'm needing some beer.

It started at 1.048, it's now at 1.028. It was in the primary for 4 days and in the secondary for 5 days. It tastes pretty good, but I really expected it to ferment out further. The recipe is Dude's Boulevard clone.

Can you guys confirm what I'm thinking? Is it ready or do I need to chill for a few more days?

9 days is pretty young for me. I won't keg anything younger than 4 weeks. It's an old practice I had back in the old days that I am going to continue.

The key is to fill the pipleline with carboys. I intend to have about 6 to 8 aging at any one time eventually.

Yeah, I usually give it at least 3 weeks in the secondary, but I'm kind of under the gun. As in, I want some beer! That is a young beer!

homebrewer_99 said:
Patience Grasshopper!

Do not share a beer with others before its time. You'll only end up making excuses for this flavor or that color, etc.

been there, done that

honestly, waiting is the hardest part of brewing

Well, problem solved. I went to move it back to my office for a couple more weeks and it dropped about 3 inches and shattered! Five gallons of beer on the floor. :mad::( I've had a crappy week!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Well, problem solved. I went to move it back to my office for a couple more weeks and it dropped about 3 inches and shattered! Five gallons of beer on the floor. :mad::( I've had a crappy week!

**** dude, you should've kegged it....

sorry for your loss.

Thanks. It's a major bummer. That's all I can think now. I should have just kegged it when I had it out. Or not got it out at all. I could have had a relaxing evening at home!

Look on the bright side: its a good thing you weren't seriously hurt, no doubt some here have been injured by shattering carboys.
I had a near disaster this week with a glass carboy trying to wrest it from my fermentation fridge, fortunately I barely kept hold of it as I moved it into the kitchen and set it on the counter. Next carboy I buy is gonna be plastic, and I'm thinking about throwing one of those 100+ lb. rated nylon carboy carriers on my next order for the glass one I have.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:

I feel your loss. . .

I believe "TAPS" is in order. . . .

Levers101 said:
Next carboy I buy is gonna be plastic, and I'm thinking about throwing one of those 100+ lb. rated nylon carboy carriers on my next order for the glass one I have.

I use the nylon carboy carriers for all my glass carboys. I like them best because I can carry them as low as possible when full (keeping center of gravity at about knee level) which gives me the most control. I leave them on the thing pretyt much all the time, even when washing them-- makes them really easy to hang on to and avoid the occasional 'oopsy' slip.

Back