This stuff smells really strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWWard03

Reaction score
Hi all. I've got a batch of american amber ale and a week into fermentation it looks different than the Mr. Beer kit I first brewed. It has a really strong and sweet smell. I didn't want to mess with it to take another hydrometer reading. Does the pic look like you'd expect? There was more foam a couple days ago and I'm not getting any bubbles in the airlock since the lid isn't completely sealed.

Attachments

• IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
Looks like a thick krausen...leave it alone for at least 10-14 days...then take a hydrometer reading!

Good luck! And keep us posted!

Do you mean 10-14 "more" days or 10-14 since fermentation started? I'm on day 6 now.

Do you mean 10-14 "more" days or 10-14 since fermentation started? I'm on day 6 now.

I meant from beginning of pitching of yeast, my apologies for not being clear! If it were me i'd let it go another week and then check the gravity...the picture looked beautiful BTW!

And for Ninkasi's sweet sake LEAVE IT ALONE. Opening the lid can allow nasty bugs/oxygen in that can ruin your beer. I've said it many times before, but PATIENCE is the one ingredient that is never listed in brewing recipes!!

I will qualify this statement by saying I (and many many many others here) have been there/done that; I've ruined a few myself by these very actions (and a few others). Yeast do best when you leave them to do their jobs undisturbed for at least 7 days, sometimes more depending on the temperature your fermentation vessel is kept at. It's frustrating, I know, but the best thing to do is wait.

Instead of opening the lid, try shining a strong flashlight on the side of the bucket; you can see the krausen (that's the thick tan layer on top of your beer) and the process it goes through that way instead of opening the lid.

Hi all. I've got a batch of american amber ale and a week into fermentation it looks different than the Mr. Beer kit I first brewed.
I just got a Mr. Beer starter kit to try my hand at homebrew to see if I like it or am capable of learning all this stuff by myself, before I go all in and drop 500 bucks into this hobby.

I just got a Mr. Beer starter kit to try my hand at homebrew to see if I like it or am capable of learning all this stuff by myself, before I go all in and drop 500 bucks into this hobby.
First, welcome to the forum.

Good beer can be made with Mr Beer equipment. Ocassionally, the fault lies with stale ingredients so don't be discouraged if your first batch isn't good.

Are you looking for ideas for learning more? Do you have a budget for a couple of books (or eBooks)?

First, welcome to the forum.

Good beer can be made with Mr Beer equipment. Ocassionally, the fault lies with stale ingredients so don't be discouraged if your first batch isn't good.

Are you looking for ideas for learning more? Do you have a budget for a couple of books (or eBooks)?
Oh definitely, I would really appreciate recommendations.

Oh definitely, I would really appreciate recommendations.
I was impressed by my Mr Beer Golden Ale kit. I found Northern Brewer on this site and pieced together a kit similar to theirs for about $100 and ordered their Block Party 5 gallon recipe kit. I’m planning to use the Mr Beer mini keg for small batches.

And for Ninkasi's sweet sake LEAVE IT ALONE. Opening the lid can allow nasty bugs/oxygen in that can ruin your beer. I've said it many times before, but PATIENCE is the one ingredient that is never listed in brewing recipes!!

I will qualify this statement by saying I (and many many many others here) have been there/done that; I've ruined a few myself by these very actions (and a few others). Yeast do best when you leave them to do their jobs undisturbed for at least 7 days, sometimes more depending on the temperature your fermentation vessel is kept at. It's frustrating, I know, but the best thing to do is wait.

Instead of opening the lid, try shining a strong flashlight on the side of the bucket; you can see the krausen (that's the thick tan layer on top of your beer) and the process it goes through that way instead of opening the lid.
Thanks. I am surprised I kept it closed for 6 days. I cracked open the lid an inch or so a couple times to make sure something was happening but that was it. I can definitely see the appeal of a glass container. Might be in the market now.

Thanks. I am surprised I kept it closed for 6 days. I cracked open the lid an inch or so a couple times to make sure something was happening but that was it. I can definitely see the appeal of a glass container. Might be in the market now.
Instead of glass, consider using PET carboys. They're much cheaper than glass, and if you take good care of them (never ever ever using anything scratchy to clean them ferinstance) they last a long time. Plus the added advantage of being able to see your beer as it goes through the process. Glass is pretty, and the risk of infection is lower since you can't scratch them; but they are HEAVY and can be dangerous if you accidentally bump or drop them. Google glass carboy accidents and you'll see why. I use Fermonsters, which are absolutely awesome; the mouth is wide, you can add spigots, and they're easy to move. The wide mouth facilitates cleaning, also dry-hopping in a bag instead of just dropping the hops in.

This is from something I wrote recently in a different topic.

/r/homebrewing also has a nice book review in their FAQ/wiki.
I just ordered the book they had linked, I'll be checking out the other links too. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with Mr Beer. I've been brewing on and off since the late 1990's and I'm still using a Mr Beer fermenter (the 6 gallon clear PET version, not the brown keg).

Easy to fill, easy to clean -- what more could one ask of a fermenter?

Back