This or that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I need to make a decision on my next purchase. I am debating between upgrading from my five gallon stock pot to a 10 gallon with outdoor burner (currently I borrow a friends burner) or getting a kegging system with two kegs. Obviously i expect the kegging system to my a larger investment but want to know which would be the best for making the best beer.

At times I hate bottling and would love a keg, but if I'm going to make better beer with a full boil its hard to turn down

In terms of making the best beer, upgrading your kettle so you can do full boils is the better investment. Bottling vs kegging shouldn't make a substantial difference in beer quality, but of course kegging is a hell of a lot easier.

+1

Get a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon pot on clearance in about a month or two and get a kegging system right now. The awesomeness of kegs scales inversely with the amount of beer you brew.

+1

Get a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon pot on clearance in about a month or two and get a kegging system right now. The awesomeness of kegs scales inversely with the amount of beer you brew.

I think you meant to say it scales exponentially.

I vote kegs all the way.

With kegged beer you can have just a little, as opposed to having to drink a full bottle (alternatively, you can have just a little more).

With kegs you can bulk age without using up a fermenter.

Everyone will say "cool taps", few will say "cool pot".

If you want to get crazy and put dollars on things (never works, but you can fudge the numbers to say anything you want) the kegs will save you a ton. If your time is worth $24/hr, and it takes 1 hour to delabel, clean, sanitize, and fill 50 bottles as opposed to 5 minutes to fill a keg you will be saving $22 each batch you keg. Your kegging equipment is paid off in 10 batches.

I like the way you think roger, I can use that sales pitch for my wife

Do you have a way to control fermentation temps? Kegging will make your life easier, temp control will help make your beer better and more consistent.

Tough question! Kegging was the best move I ever made, but for better beer, full boils are huge. I think I'll go pour myself a beer and think about this.....

I have a spare fridge that I will be using for my first lager this weekend. I don't have fancy control systems but I am tweaking the fridge all week to get it right around 55 then I'll put it in the freezer side at 35 in a month

I think you meant to say it scales exponentially.

I vote kegs all the way.

With kegged beer you can have just a little, as opposed to having to drink a full bottle (alternatively, you can have just a little more).

With kegs you can bulk age without using up a fermenter.

Everyone will say "cool taps", few will say "cool pot".

If you want to get crazy and put dollars on things (never works, but you can fudge the numbers to say anything you want) the kegs will save you a ton. If your time is worth $24/hr, and it takes 1 hour to delabel, clean, sanitize, and fill 50 bottles as opposed to 5 minutes to fill a keg you will be saving $22 each batch you keg. Your kegging equipment is paid off in 10 batches.

Yup, thanks :)

I have a spare fridge that I will be using for my first lager this weekend. I don't have fancy control systems but I am tweaking the fridge all week to get it right around 55 then I'll put it in the freezer side at 35 in a month

with that set up, I'd go for the kegging system. You can find turkey fryers on sale/craigs list in a few months relatively inexpensively.

Good luck.:mug:

so I know aluminum isn't ideal but you guys think that will work for starting all grain soon?

Just thought I would give this thread a bump as thanksgiving is over and you should be on the watch out for turkey fryers on clearance. I bought mine a couple years ago after thanksgiving at target for less than $20 around this time. Good luck finding one!

Kegging system hands down.

Nothing wrong with aluminum pots either I just did my first batch in an aluminum turkey fryer pot out on the back porch. It was awesome!

Latest posts

Back