"This IPA" from Cascade Lakes Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I was in Redmond Oregon with my wife looking for retirement properties and we stopped at Cascade Lakes Brewing. If you are ever there, they had a good club wrap and a great IPA. It was called This IPA. I really enjoyed it, and even bought a six pack of it to go. I got to thinking, since Bear Republic was so kind as to give up the recipe, I thought I would email Cascade and see what they were willing to give up. So, here is what I got:

Hello Dino,

Thank you very much for your email and kind words about THIS IPA. I love sharing comments like yours with our team who all work so hard on our beers. I’m happy to share with you a basic framework for the recipe to work with on your home brew system.

MALT

~85% Pale 2-row

~7.5% Munich

~7.5% Rolled Oats

HOPS

The only kettle addition is a bit of Centennial just before killing the boil and beginning the whirlpool

Dry Hops are added during fermentation when the beer hits 6⁰P. Citra, Mosaic & Amarillo…about a pound of each per barrel.

WATER

We add both Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride to the mash and kettle at a ratio of about 3:1, CaSO4:CaCl2.

YEAST

We use California, sometimes called American, Ale yeast for THIS IPA which we ferment in the mid 60’s. Anything with a fairly neutral impact should serve you well.

A single infusion mash targeting 151 or 152⁰F should be great for a home system with this beer. Target OG is ~16⁰P with the beer finishing just under 3⁰P.

I think this will get you going. Let me know if you have questions, I’ll do my best to assist. Come back and see us again and happy brewing!

First off, let me say this was really nice of him to give me the recipe, I did not expect too much, and got a nice start. Second, when I go to Oregon again, I might contact him and see if he will meet me so I can thank him personally and maybe get a few more six packs of his brew.

Now, my question. The website states the IBU is 70 but if there is only a late edition of hops in the boil, how do they come up with such a high IBU? I put it in Brewfather and they amount in a late edition would be something like 3 ounces for a 5 gallon batch. Seems a bit high. I would like to give this a try and see what it comes out like, but I really liked the beer out of the can. If you can find it in your area give it a go. It was really good for me.

Now, my question. The website states the IBU is 70 but if there is only a late edition of hops in the boil, how do they come up with such a high IBU? I put it in Brewfather and they amount in a late edition would be something like 3 ounces for a 5 gallon batch. Seems a bit high. I would like to give this a try and see what it comes out like, but I really liked the beer out of the can. If you can find it in your area give it a go. It was really good for me.

Not sure exactly how they calculated the IBUs but late and whirlpool additions will contribute way more IBUs measured by gas chromatographs although we think of these additions adding little to nothing and they don't taste that bitter. Seems the brewer is willing to answer follow up questions. He would be the best resource to answer.

Not sure exactly how they calculated the IBUs but late and whirlpool additions will contribute way more IBUs measured by gas chromatographs although we think of these additions adding little to nothing and they don't taste that bitter. Seems the brewer is willing to answer follow up questions. He would be the best resource to answer.
I thought the same thing about asking him additional questions. When I am ready to give it a go, I might shoot him a question or two.

I was in Redmond Oregon with my wife looking for retirement properties and we stopped at Cascade Lakes Brewing. If you are ever there, they had a good club wrap and a great IPA. It was called This IPA. I really enjoyed it, and even bought a six pack of it to go. I got to thinking, since Bear Republic was so kind as to give up the recipe, I thought I would email Cascade and see what they were willing to give up. So, here is what I got:

Hello Dino,

Thank you very much for your email and kind words about THIS IPA. I love sharing comments like yours with our team who all work so hard on our beers. I’m happy to share with you a basic framework for the recipe to work with on your home brew system.

MALT

~85% Pale 2-row

~7.5% Munich

~7.5% Rolled Oats

HOPS

The only kettle addition is a bit of Centennial just before killing the boil and beginning the whirlpool

Dry Hops are added during fermentation when the beer hits 6⁰P. Citra, Mosaic & Amarillo…about a pound of each per barrel.

WATER

We add both Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride to the mash and kettle at a ratio of about 3:1, CaSO4:CaCl2.

YEAST

We use California, sometimes called American, Ale yeast for THIS IPA which we ferment in the mid 60’s. Anything with a fairly neutral impact should serve you well.

A single infusion mash targeting 151 or 152⁰F should be great for a home system with this beer. Target OG is ~16⁰P with the beer finishing just under 3⁰P.

I think this will get you going. Let me know if you have questions, I’ll do my best to assist. Come back and see us again and happy brewing!

First off, let me say this was really nice of him to give me the recipe, I did not expect too much, and got a nice start. Second, when I go to Oregon again, I might contact him and see if he will meet me so I can thank him personally and maybe get a few more six packs of his brew.

They're getting their IBUs during the whirlpool. Depending on what their whirlpool temp is, the hops will still continue to add bitterness until I think it gets down to 175F so if they're whirlpooling for 30 minutes above that temp, that's plenty of time to convert to bitterness. There is a setting in Beersmith (unsure of brewfather) under my equipment profile that allows me to calculate hops utilization during the whirlpool so that way if I whirlpool at 190F for 15 minutes, it will show me how many IBUs I'd be adding to my beer with that whirlpool addition. Hopefully that helps.

They're getting their IBUs during the whirlpool. Depending on what their whirlpool temp is, the hops will still continue to add bitterness until I think it gets down to 175F so if they're whirlpooling for 30 minutes above that temp, that's plenty of time to convert to bitterness. There is a setting in Beersmith (unsure of brewfather) under my equipment profile that allows me to calculate hops utilization during the whirlpool so that way if I whirlpool at 190F for 15 minutes, it will show me how many IBUs I'd be adding to my beer with that whirlpool addition. Hopefully that helps.
Awesome!!!!! Thank you, that helps a lot. Now I understand it. I am going to fool around with Brewfather a bit and see what I can do. I need to convert their dry hops into my 5 gallon batch instead of a barrel as he stated. But that will be later on. Thanks for the reply. RR

Awesome!!!!! Thank you, that helps a lot. Now I understand it. I am going to fool around with Brewfather a bit and see what I can do. I need to convert their dry hops into my 5 gallon batch instead of a barrel as he stated. But that will be later on. Thanks for the reply. RR
For sure, they brew beer in such large quantities they are likely whirlpooling and chilling at the same time, but because of the volume of beer, it takes quite a while to chill, so until they get below 175F those hops are contributing IBUs for sure.

Back