Third batch experiment ideas..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettPreston

Reaction score
Hi all.

So, I'm planning my third batch extract brew. I've done a standard "golden ale" and just done a "stout" both came out pretty good, some teething mistakes but nothing to bad.

For my third brew I have a extract kit by simply it's their "pale ale". I was thinking of maybe adding some other flavours to it?

My first thoughts were maybe extra hops and honey? I was thinking of adding some honey with the mixture at the start along with some hops then adding again just before bottling / barrelling?

Do you have any other flavour ideas and best ways to do it?

Is the above along the right lines or have I not got the right idea?

Thanks! Happing drinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have been thinking about trying in a few other brews to make apple pail ale or maybe a banana one! i saw online that you add a 4 oz bottle to a 22g bucket right before bottling!

Orange would add great flavor to an IPA giving it a summer feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Play and have fun! That's a good way to learn. That being said hops have any number of ways to add flavor and aroma to beer. It all depends on the type of hops and your addition times whether you get more bitterness or flavor and aroma. So with hops do some research on timing and then what each variety offers.

Now for the honey. If you're looking for any sort of honey tones I would add it at the end of the boil. Last 5 minutes to flameout is a good choice. Adding it earlier in the boil leaves the sugar for alcohol content but most of the flavor and aroma gets boiled off. In my experience adding a pound of honey after primary fermentation is done helps carry over some good honey flavor.

If you add any honey after the initial fermentation is complete make sure you wait for that to ferment out before you prime and bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back