Thinking of getting into kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people get 5lb tanks. If you're only pushing a couple kegs, a 5lb will do just fine. You can get several kegs out of one tank (guessing ~10-15). I was paying about $23 to fill the tank at my local store.
I was lucky enough to find a 20lb tank at an auction for $70, and surprisingly it is only $28 to fill it. Not sure why it's so cheap for the bigger tank, but it seems standard. Now I probably can get through a year or two without filling it.
The Kegging kits NB sells are a good deal. Unless you can find used equipment, you're going to pay that much anyways buying it all separate.

You don't really need to buy a new keg. You can find a single keg system like that with a used keg and it will cost you MUCH less.

Personally, I would go with a 5lb co2 tank. Any smaller and you'll be filling it all of the time if you decide to have multiple kegs. I can have mine filled at two places near me. One is $14 and I get it filled immediately. The other is $5-10 depending on who's working, but I have to wait a few days until they get a lot of other tanks to fill. It really varies, but you shouldn't be paying more than $15 and that will last you through roughly 10 kegs in my experience.

The guy that fills my CO2 for me says that each time he turns the machine on, he has to waste 40lbs of co2 in order to get the lines cold. This may be why the price is not much higher when you're filling a larger canister. He told me there's really only $5 worth of CO2 in a 5lb tank, but when they have to waste so much, they need to cover their cost by charging more.

The guy that fills my CO2 for me says that each time he turns the machine on, he has to waste 40lbs of co2 in order to get the lines cold. This may be why the price is not much higher when you're filling a larger canister. He told me there's really only $5 worth of CO2 in a 5lb tank, but when they have to waste so much, they need to cover their cost by charging more.

That could easily explain why so many companies have gone to tank exchanges only...

Cheers!

That could easily explain why so many companies have gone to tank exchanges only...

Cheers!

my pet peeve

The 5lb tank that came with my kegerator kit had to be swapped out, cost equaled one $59 brand new tank plus $17 for CO2. That was actually better than if I wouldn't have had a trade in because the cost would have been over $100, first time deposit (for an old tank) plus the cost of the CO2, and the place got my brand new tank. So goodbye brand new tank. Hello to getting ripped off. Then I found a place to refill for about $16. Seems like the swap out places should be much less than refill as I'm sure they're filling numerous bottles at one time.

5 lb tank: $56 ($11.20 per pound of gas containment)
20 lb tank: $110 ($5.50 per pound of gas containment)

Cost to fill a 5 lb tank at my local fire extinguisher refill store: $17 ($3.40 per pound)
Cost to fill a 20 lb tank at my local fire extinguisher refill store: $21 ($1.05 per pound)

If you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, get the 20 lb tank.

Not to mention that you have to go to refill it 25% as much.

I have seven used kegs. I don't think I'll ever buy a new keg. They don't seem worth the extra cost.

I save my money for Perlick SS faucets and SS shanks / tailpieces.

No, I wouldn't buy a kit. I'd do a lot of research and piecemeal it together.

Back