Thinking my fermentation stalled early...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdowling56

Reaction score
I have a higher grav wheat thats about 4 days in.

Pitched 1qt WPL300 starter @75 degrees (on the advice of my LHBS, although now I know that to have been way to high :ban:).

Started at 1 069

Took a reading yesterday morning and again this morning and it seems to be holding at 1 025 w/ hardly any activity in the airlock. I'd like to see this get to something closer to 1 010.

We had a bit of a storm/cold weather blow through the last couple of days and i'm thinking that may have something to do with it. I took my primary off of my cold kitchen floor and put it in my carpeted bedroom, also wraped it in a blanket for good measure.

How long should I wait to see if activity is going to p/u again? Also, is this a situation where I might consider repitching?

I'm a little bummed considering how active the fermentation was the first two days. I actually had a small blowout on Sat (unseated the lid from the bucket, made a small mess down the side). After that though it just kind of died.

I just had one that went well for 36 hrs then the airlock stopped sitting right next to a hefe with wlp300 that is still bubbling at 5 days. Just checked the gravity tonight and it was 1.012 after 10 days. Give it a few more days. All fermentations are different. WAY DIFFERENT. It will probably be fine as most are.

4 days isn't long enough. That gravity is pretty good for that amount of time. Give it 2 weeks, and disregard the lack of visible ferm activity. I just had a porter with almost no visible activity go from 1.063 to 1.013 in 8 days, yet I'm still going to give it the full 2 weeks. Good luck, I think you'll be fine.

4 days isn't long enough. That gravity is pretty good for that amount of time. Give it 2 weeks, and disregard the lack of visible ferm activity. I just had a porter with almost no visible activity go from 1.063 to 1.013 in 8 days, yet I'm still going to give it the full 2 weeks. Good luck, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks, I hope you're right.

Really its not the visible activity that worries me, its the gravity readings I was taking. The last two times I checked it (Sunday/Monday) it had only creped about .001-2 lower then the previous day.

Its cool though, honestly I'm thinking if I dont get what I want out of this batch I might just keg it, and start another by re pitching the yeast. I really like this recipe and want to try and hit it spot on eventually.

Latest posts

Back